Where are my backup files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello;

I am using WHS as a backup server to backup 3 networked XP machines.  WHS has three 500Gb drives with duplication turned ON.

Each night WHS "supposedly" is backing up the 3 XP machines but there is no where that I can actually see any backup files on the three 500Gb drives to prove to myself that the backups are really there and happening.

Is there any way or Add-In that will let me see the backup files on the three drives?  Before WHS I used Retrospect backup software and I could actually see the Backup Set files on the backup drive.  This is very comforting instead of relying on blind faith that the backups are actually happening.

Thanks!

Bill Artman
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 6:52 PM

Answers

• Bill,

The actual backups are stored in: D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.

When you open the Console, go to the Server Storage Tab, this will show the amount of space taken up.

Colin

Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Bill, you should be aware that Colin has pointed you to the locaiton of the home computer backup database. You will still not see your files there, only a number of large (up to 4 GB each) files that contain the backed up clusters of data off your home computers.

For more details about how backup works, you may want to take a look at the Home Computer Backup technical brief.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 1:16 AM

All replies

• Bill,

The actual backups are stored in: D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.

When you open the Console, go to the Server Storage Tab, this will show the amount of space taken up.

Colin

Thursday, July 10, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Bill, you should be aware that Colin has pointed you to the locaiton of the home computer backup database. You will still not see your files there, only a number of large (up to 4 GB each) files that contain the backed up clusters of data off your home computers.

For more details about how backup works, you may want to take a look at the Home Computer Backup technical brief.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 1:16 AM

• Colin and Warren;

Thanks very much for your answers.  I have looked on the D drive and have found the 4 large files you refer to and I have already printed the Home Computer Backup technical brief.

Many people don't really care how something works, but especially for the backups for my professional photography studio I really would like to understand what is happening.

Do you know of any Add-In that is available to show and prove to me easily that the backups are actually happening instead just the status messages that WHS gives.

Thanks again for your help!

Bill
    Friday, July 11, 2008 2:40 AM
  •  Bill Artman wrote:

Colin and Warren;

Thanks very much for your answers.  I have looked on the D drive and have found the 4 large files you refer to and I have already printed the Home Computer Backup technical brief.

Many people don't really care how something works, but especially for the backups for my professional photography studio I really would like to understand what is happening.

Do you know of any Add-In that is available to show and prove to me easily that the backups are actually happening instead just the status messages that WHS gives.

Thanks again for your help!

Bill

I don't know of any add-in that tells you that.  However, if a backup fails, it will show in the backup listings.

Besides, if you are that concerned about your backups, the only foolproof way to know if they work is to do a test restore before you ever get to the point where you actually need it.

Friday, July 11, 2008 2:46 AM

• I have only had WHS for about 2 months and one machine didn't back up for 4 days because a snapshot was not taken and the WHS system tray icon showed healthy.  I found out one day when I decided to check and went into the console to "view backups" under the Computers and Backups button.  Yesterday and today when I tried to view the backups under the Computers and Backups button I got a message window in the middle of the screen "The Windows Home Server Computer Backup service is not running.  Please restart Windows Home Server."  I restarted WHS and the message went away and I was able to "View Backups".

I don't know much about the workings of WHS and I get nervous when snapshots are not taken and backups are not run and I get messages that tell me the Backup service is not running and I don't understand what is happening.

I am seriously considering doing a "practice restore" of one of the client machine C drives to ensure that everything is running as advertised.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Bill
    Friday, July 11, 2008 3:23 AM