Shared Folder is missing from whs console RRS feed

• Question

• I am missing the default Books share from the whs console. When I log into the whs as administrator, I see that the folder is there with all of its contents. When I click on folder properties, all of the permissions seem to be correct with full permission for administrator. When I try to edit the contents of the folder I get access denied and am only able to read from it. I have tried to add the already existing Books folder as new share in the console, but I get an error saying the folder already exists and names must be unique. This is fine, I understand why the error is there. I can't seem to figure out how to delete the folder completely and recreate it from scratch or add it back to the console. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Monday, November 23, 2009 12:33 AM

All replies

• There is no default share named "Books". If you have a folder in D:\Shares named Books, you (or someone else) created it.

As for cleaning it up, you can try this:
    • Log in to your server using Remote Desktop or directly connected keyboard, video, and mouse. Note: this is unsupported and (per the warning that appears when log in this way) potentially hazardous.
    • Assign ownership of the folder and it's contents to the Administrators group.
    • Reboot your server.
    • Log back in using Remote Desktop etc. and see if you can delete the folder.
    I don't guarantee that will work. If it doesn't, there is nothing that I can think of short of a new installation (which will format all connected drives) that is going to remove that folder for you.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 12:46 AM