none
adding RAM - DDR3+DDR2, possible issue? RRS feed

• Question

• i have 4GB RAM DDR2(2GBx2) and i got only 2 slots so none left free..i was wandering if there might be any conflicts/issues if i add 4GB RAM DDR3 to 1 of my 2GB DDR2...i mean if my PC performance will decrease or won't change because 1 of them is DDR2,and also is there a single RAM of 8GB,or it's only 4GBx2?

here is also the results after a system scan done by Crucial.com

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=A44C551731D926C3

also when i right click Properties on "My Computer" it shows memory installed 4GB but usable only 3GB..check the link

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7100/systempq.jpg

why only 3GB usable? how make it use all my 4GB?

i have program called SmartRAM from IObit.com(i have the full licensed version of that product) not very effective it cleans the Cached memory which anyway cached again right after it cleans it(i take a guess and say it's because of SuperFetch), i have a game called " F.3.A.R. " it requires at least 2GB,about up to 1.50GB is used by Windows/System Processes which leaves me with 1.50GB for games sense only 3GB usable so about 1 hour of play,pops up message says "there's not enough memory left for windows to operate and the following program F.3.A.R. needs to closed to prevent data lose" or something like that..

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3854/performancexd.jpg

soon coming out a game called "Assassin's Creed Revelations" it requires 4GB RAM

I'm not sure but SuperFetch takes about 1GB RAM i think(btw i use Win 7 32bit SP1),so all hardcore-gamers will have 3 solutions...upgrade RAM,switch back to Win XP,or disable SuperFetch in their Win Vista/7

"SuperFetch ON = better performance,less RAM - SuperFetch OFF = decreased performance,more RAM" at least that's how i understand it..

i do say SuperFetch IS good but it would be better if there was a way for it to compress the cached RAM or use less of it.

i will really appreciate if you answer my questions!

OFF-TOPIC: Samsung will release to market DDR4 SDRAM on 2012.

BLOOD RUNS DEEP F.E.A.R. RUNS DEEPER
    Wednesday, July 6, 2011 7:58 PM

Answers

• "OneDarkLord" wrote in message news:c1df9788-13e5-4939-be24-99aca17d1587...

how can i change the slots? and why only 3GB usable from my 4GB(RAM)?

1) you can't - they are built-in to the motherboard, and require different BIOS anyhow.

2) Windows 32-bit works only with up to 4GB RAM - but some of that RAM is reserved for use with hardware, and is unavailable to the OS.
    You'd have to clean-install your system with 64-bit Windows to be able to use any more RAM than 4GB, and that  means that you'd have to find 2x4GB sticks of DDR2 RAM
    If you want details as to why you see less RAM available to the OS, then look here....
     -

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by OneDarkLord Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:59 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:37 AM
  • "OneDarkLord" wrote in message news:0daf6131-d624-4ee9-bdb5-6536c6043003...
    so to use all available RAM i most install Windows 64-bit...so i will have more RAM but not all games support 64-bit :(

Even with 64-bit Windows installed, the usable RAM won't be much more than it is at the moment, with 4GB installed - it only really comes into its own when more than 4GB is installed.
    Most new games are, I think, likely to be 64-bit - and most older32-bit games should still run in a 64-bit system (in 32-bit mode, or using XP-compatibility settings)

--

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:36 AM

All replies

• "OneDarkLord" wrote in message news:7a79798c-512a-406f-9ae6-84fb12d3a853...

i have 4GB RAM DDR2(2GBx2) and i got only 2 slots so none left free..i was wandering if there might be any conflicts/issues if i add 4GB RAM DDR3 to 1 of my 2GB DDR2...i mean if my PC performance will decrease or won't change because 1 of them is DDR2,and also is there a single RAM of 8GB,or it's only 4GBx2?

here is also the results after a system scan done by Crucial.com

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=A44C551731D926C3

also when i right click Properties on "My Computer" it shows memory installed 4GB but usable only 3GB..check the link

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7100/systempq.jpg

why only 3GB usable? how make it use all my 4GB?

i have program called SmartRAM from IObit.com(i have the full licensed version of that product) not very effective it cleans the Cached memory which anyway cached again right after it cleans it(i take a guess and say it's because of SuperFetch), i have a game called " F.3.A.R. " it requires at least 2GB,about up to 1.50GB is used by Windows/System Processes which leaves me with 1.50GB for games sense only 3GB usable so about 1 hour of play,pops up message says "there's not enough memory left for windows to operate and the following program F.3.A.R. needs to closed to prevent data lose" or something like that..

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3854/performancexd.jpg

soon coming out a game called "Assassin's Creed Revelations" it requires 4GB RAM

I'm not sure but SuperFetch takes about 1GB RAM i think(btw i use Win 7 32bit SP1),so all hardcore-gamers will have 3 solutions...upgrade RAM,switch back to Win XP,or disable SuperFetch in their Win Vista/7

"SuperFetch ON = better performance,less RAM - SuperFetch OFF = decreased performance,more RAM" at least that's how i understand it..

i do say SuperFetch IS good but it would be better if there was a way for it to compress the cached RAM or use less of it.

i will really appreciate if you answer my questions!

OFF-TOPIC: Samsung will release to market DDR4 SDRAM on 2012.

Quite apart from the fact that mixing DDR speeds isn't good practice, the sticks are physically different anyhow - so a DDR3 stick won't fit in a DDR2 slot.

--

Thursday, July 7, 2011 6:31 AM
  • how can i change the slots? and why only 3GB usable from my 4GB(RAM)?

Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:13 AM
  • "OneDarkLord" wrote in message news:c1df9788-13e5-4939-be24-99aca17d1587...

how can i change the slots? and why only 3GB usable from my 4GB(RAM)?

1) you can't - they are built-in to the motherboard, and require different BIOS anyhow.

2) Windows 32-bit works only with up to 4GB RAM - but some of that RAM is reserved for use with hardware, and is unavailable to the OS.
    You'd have to clean-install your system with 64-bit Windows to be able to use any more RAM than 4GB, and that  means that you'd have to find 2x4GB sticks of DDR2 RAM
    If you want details as to why you see less RAM available to the OS, then look here....
     -

--

Thursday, July 7, 2011 10:37 AM
  • so to use all available RAM i most install Windows 64-bit...so i will have more RAM but not all games support 64-bit :(
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:01 AM
  • "OneDarkLord" wrote in message news:0daf6131-d624-4ee9-bdb5-6536c6043003...
    so to use all available RAM i most install Windows 64-bit...so i will have more RAM but not all games support 64-bit :(

Even with 64-bit Windows installed, the usable RAM won't be much more than it is at the moment, with 4GB installed - it only really comes into its own when more than 4GB is installed.
    Most new games are, I think, likely to be 64-bit - and most older32-bit games should still run in a 64-bit system (in 32-bit mode, or using XP-compatibility settings)

--

Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:36 AM
  • thanks for all your help!
    Thursday, July 7, 2011 11:59 AM
  • "OneDarkLord" wrote in message news:a314c00f-731a-406b-8026-4ba3f7b729c9...
    thanks for all your help!

You're welcome - glad I could help to straighten you out a little :)

--

Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:15 PM