Consumer Reports Article regarding Security Software RRS feed

• Question

• Page 23, June 2009 issue: "Microsoft Live OneCare discontinued as of June 30, 2009 and replaced with a free a/v product".

Would anyone at LiveOne Care care to comment?   BILL
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 2:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Retail sales of One Care will end on June 30th but One Care will be updated and fully supported through the end of 2010. See this announcement for more detail - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/ebe7e8de-c7a2-41c7-9072-24d3a2bc04ec

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 3:13 AM
  • It still begs the question that nobody is answering and everyone is trying to step around from. Why are you still charging for subscriptions if in just one month from now it is going to be FREE according to Microsoft?

I understand you will still be providing updates (not improvements, its in "maintenance mode") till the end of 2010. The question is that everyone keeps stepping around with the boiler plate response above is why are you still charging people one year subscription fees for a product Microsoft is going to be replacing and making FREE in just one month?

WHO CARES IF YOUR GOING TO STILL PROVIDE UPDATES TILL 2010, MICROSOFT IS GOING TO BE PROVIDING THE SAME FOR FREE AFTER JUNE 30 OF 2009!

Not sure how you justify this in your own minds, but I'm sure in the vast majority this simply amounts to ripping people off when you charge them a one year subscription for a product Microsoft is going to make available for free in just one month from now. I guess this also goes hand in hand with why are you ripping people off by charging $49 a year direct from you for the same exact product a person can buy in a retail store for just $29 a year...

Google search "Windows One Care Retail"

...drop down to the google links below the ones for the actual One Care web site. Some places are selling available as a download or physical disc for as low as $19.99, for the same exact product you are charging people on your own web site $49.99 for. Your purposely trying to rip people off! I could see if this was some other stupid or pointless application, but this is an application based on instilling trust and confidence in the people who would be buying and using it. It does not instill trust and confidence in your product when the vendor of it openly and clearly rips people off.
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:32 AM
  • tony1967,

Please listen, ONECARE WILL NEVER BE FREE!!!  Is that clear enough?

Though you may have purchased OneCare only for the anti-malware components, many of those asking questions here are using at least the Backup or other features of the product like WiFi protection, or the Circle and Printer sharing features.

You need to get it through your mind that this is not going to be the same product and may not be available for a few more months, at least not as a released product.  This means that most users will still need some form of protection for several months between the end of sale of OneCare and access to the free product.  These people will need time to find alternatives to OneCare for Backup and possibly other features they were using, so their OneCare subscription will allow them time to make this transition on their own terms, not in a rush or with a 'hole' in their protection.

I personally have already renewed my own OneCare subscriptions through next April, even though I'm likely to convert all of the PCs I have it on within the first few months that Morro is available.  This is still much cheaper and easier to do than any other alternative and in the long run still saves me lots of time, which in most peoples case is much more valuable than even $49, let alone the lower cost if purchased from a retail outlet.

OneCareBear

Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:41 PM