none
Recognition Points is not Correct? RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• The difference is the number of answers provided by Lucy. She has more than double you do.

In the old recognition program in the Forums, you earned points just for replying. You no longer do.

By the end of the month, you'll see this more clearly reflected in your profile when we add the answers stats.

Monday, October 17, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Hello experts,

I am Leo, a support engineer in the Visual C# Category.
    The total of my recognition points is abnormal I think. I have almost the same data with one of my colleague Lucy, while the total of her points is almost twice as much as mine.

Please check out my and her info first as below:
    My Profile: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/leo%20liu%20-%20msft/.
    Lucy's Profile: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/lucy-liu/.

My Answer Quantity: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/browseusers?userName=leo%20liu%20-%20msft.
    Lucy's Answer Quantity: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/browseusers?userName=lucy-liu.

Could you shed light on this?

Have a nice weekend,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

I would also add to what Sean said that your Answer Quantity links provide your answer here. Lucy answered more questions, and those answers could also be more points simply by factors like (1) Who marks the reply as an answer (if the Asker marks it, you get more points). (2) How long it takes to get it marked as an answer (I assume this helps reflect how important the question and answer are).

I hope this helps!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    • Marked as answer by Leo Liu - MSFT Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:21 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 8:00 PM
    Owner
  • The difference is the number of answers provided by Lucy. She has more than double you do.

In the old recognition program in the Forums, you earned points just for replying. You no longer do.

By the end of the month, you'll see this more clearly reflected in your profile when we add the answers stats.

Hi Sean & Ed Price,

Thanks for your feedback. While I still have a doubt, it seems that my Answer Quantity has no much difference with Lucy's:
    Lucy's: 619.
    Mine: 588.
    And below is the Helpful Posts Quantity:
    Lucy's: 89.
    Mine: 95.
    If I have not got it wrong, these two aspects are the major factors related with the final recongnition points, isn't it?

I want to add that the recongnition points identification is not that important to me, while I think if it is not correct, I should get what I deserving. :)

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Leo Liu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:03 AM
  • And this is another contrast with one guy who has the same Recognition Points with me:

Rocky's Profile: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/profile/rocky%20yue/.
    Rocky's Answer Quantity: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/browseusers?userName=rocky%20yue.

Recognition Points:
         Rocky's: 2945.
         Mine:     2965.
    The Answer Quantity:
         Rocky's: 223.
         Mine:     588.
    Helpful Posts Quantity:
         Rocky's: 160.
         Mine:      95.
    Threads participated:
         Rocky's: 963.
         Mine:     2116.

I think I am a enthusiastic moderator and my service quality is fine in some degree, please check out some threads of mine:
    Using C# Class Generated using xsd.exe.
    Drag and Drop Images from a Toolbox using javascript.
    Dynamic or Expando for XML Reading or Writing in .NET 4.0?.
    Array.sort fails to sort DBCS(double byte character set) Japanese characters.
    Bad performance doing a DataTable.Select()
    While I should think that my points is not normal from the above data, I am really disappointed about this.
    Or could you please show me the detailed statistical method of the total points?
    Thanks experts.

Have a nice day,

Leo Liu [MSFT]

• Edited by Leo Liu - MSFT Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:54 AM Reformed the layout.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:48 AM
  • If you marked your own response as an answer, it does not count towards your total recognition points. So, for your own posts it's better that Lucy marks them - in this case your answers will also bring you points.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:19 PM
  • @Leo Liu

Don't worry about new points system. They are not able to count them !!! The old points conversion also is a splendid failure. Anyway, they said the points are not important.

dni
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi Sean & Ed Price,

Thanks for your feedback. While I still have a doubt, it seems that my Answer Quantity has no much difference with Lucy's:
    Lucy's: 619.
    Mine: 588.
    And below is the Helpful Posts Quantity:
    Lucy's: 89.
    Mine: 95.
    If I have not got it wrong, these two aspects are the major factors related with the final recongnition points, isn't it?

I want to add that the recongnition points identification is not that important to me, while I think if it is not correct, I should get what I deserving. :)

Thanks for your time and understanding.

Leo Liu [MSFT]

Lucy answered more questions, and those answers could also be more points simply by factors like (1) Who marks the reply as an answer (if the Asker marks it, you get more points). (2) How long it takes to get it marked as an answer (I assume this helps reflect how important the question and answer are).

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:53 PM
    Owner
  • If you marked your own response as an answer, it does not count towards your total recognition points. So, for your own posts it's better that Lucy marks them - in this case your answers will also bring you points.

I marked and unmarked your reply as an answer... I'll give Leo a chance to mark the right answer(s). So I proposed it instead.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:54 PM
    Owner
  • If you marked your own response as an answer, it does not count towards your total recognition points.
    Not really, I am afraid. One small aspect of my daily work is to mark right replies as answers in the threads whose age is older than 7 days and the original posters forget to perform the marking action. Some replies from me are involved, that will be marked by me.

My current observed result, since the release of the new recognition system, is:
    If my reply is marked, no matter by me or other community members, as an answer, the total points increase by 10.
    If my reply is voted as helpful once, the total points increase by 5.
    No other items that can be used to earn points is available in the forum scope.

I am sure about this, because I start to notice my total points since I found it is abnormal. If it is not like this, could the detailed statistical method of the total points be exposed to us?

Thanks for your time and have a nice day,

Leo Liu [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:49 AM
  • Hi Ed Price,

Thanks. You are humorous. Maybe I will mark some later but you are the moderator here. Lol.

Have a nice day,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 1:52 AM
  • I'm observing my points as well. If I answer quickly and OP marks it, I get 20 points. If I answer quickly and moderator marks it, I get 15 points. If this was not a quick answer, I'm not 100% certain, but I think regardless of who marks it, I get 10 points.

My blog

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Hi Naomi,

I think you are right, that several Quickly Answered items are found in your profile.
    Won't be entangled with the total points any more. Lol.

Thanks ED Price for your time too.
    BTW, should it be better that the quantity of different levels of answers, and the unit score for each kind also be reflected in the profile? I think one of the benefits is obvious: The guys who have similar doubts like me can directly find the answer in the profile then. :)

May you my friends a wonderful day,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:19 AM
  • The old points conversion also is a splendid failure.

Hi dni,

Above all others, we could see the efforts Microsoft does to improve the UE of all kinds of products including the MSDN community site. Do you agree? :)

Have a nice day,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:27 AM
  • @Leo Liu

Can you show same samples of "efforts", Sir ? (That will ease swallowing...)

dni
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Hi Naomi,

I think you are right, that several Quickly Answered items are found in your profile.
    Won't be entangled with the total points any more. Lol.

Thanks ED Price for your time too.
    BTW, should it be better that the quantity of different levels of answers, and the unit score for each kind also be reflected in the profile? I think one of the benefits is obvious: The guys who have similar doubts like me can directly find the answer in the profile then. :)

May you my friends a wonderful day,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]

More transparency on your answers (the different kinds) is in the works. We should see something new on this next week.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:19 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed Price,

Thanks. You are humorous. Maybe I will mark some later but you are the moderator here. Lol.

Have a nice day,
    Leo Liu [MSFT]

Ha! Thanks Leo!

So you can mark her answer, since you're the Asker, and you actually give her more points that way (5 more points), because you're the Asker (and not the Moderator).

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:25 PM
    Owner