Deleted folder on server share RRS feed

• Question

• I recently deleted a file folder from my shared user folder on my whs.  Is there a recyle bin or backup of these files?  I have folder duplication turned on.  

If there is no option to recover from this, is there an option or setting to backup the files on the shares to prevent this issue in the future?

I have an HP ex470 with pp2

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 10:32 PM

Answers

• I recently deleted a file folder from my shared user folder on my whs.  Is there a recyle bin or backup of these files?

There is no network recycle bin on WHS (or any other MS OS).  As for backups, only if you backed up the shares to an external drive yourself.

I have folder duplication turned on.

FD won't help here.  It's only for hard drive failures, not accidental deletions.

If there is no option to recover from this, is there an option or setting to backup the files on the shares to prevent this issue in the future?

Yes, there is a backup tool that is part of PP1.  It allows you to backup a share to an external drive.

If the data missing is that valuable, I would suggest you shut down your server and start considering data recovery (either take it to a professional service or a DIY app).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 5, 2009 10:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dorne Monday, April 6, 2009 12:19 AM
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 10:42 PM

All replies

• I recently deleted a file folder from my shared user folder on my whs.  Is there a recyle bin or backup of these files?

There is no network recycle bin on WHS (or any other MS OS).  As for backups, only if you backed up the shares to an external drive yourself.

I have folder duplication turned on.

FD won't help here.  It's only for hard drive failures, not accidental deletions.

Yes, there is a backup tool that is part of PP1.  It allows you to backup a share to an external drive.

If the data missing is that valuable, I would suggest you shut down your server and start considering data recovery (either take it to a professional service or a DIY app).
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, April 5, 2009 10:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Dorne Monday, April 6, 2009 12:19 AM
    Sunday, April 5, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Shadow copies may be your friend.
    Go to the shared files, i.e. software, and then right click. The window that pops up may have a line that says "restore previous versions". This is shaow copies. It is only available on certian copies of Vista and WIN7.
    Shadow copies is independant of WHS and just treats all shares the same and wants to keep copies of them. The info is usually stored in a hidden folder on your pc.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:55 AM
  • Shadow copies may be your friend.
    Go to the shared files, i.e. software, and then right click. The window that pops up may have a line that says "restore previous versions". This is shaow copies. It is only available on certian copies of Vista and WIN7.
    Shadow copies is independant of WHS and just treats all shares the same and wants to keep copies of them. The info is usually stored in a hidden folder on your pc.
    While that's true on your local drive(s), Shadow Copies will not help with a network share.

As Ken suggested, backup your shares to an external drive.  This is the only practical solution for accidental deletion.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 6:57 PM
  • I wouldn't suggest using shadow copies as a bakcup tool. Only that you may be able to get your deleted files from WHS using Shadow copies.
    Shadow copies work on your shares in WHS. Only if your PC supports the use of shadow copies. Mine does and I can right click on any of my WHS shares and then get the "restore previous" line and bam, I can restore the files I have deleted or changed.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 8:06 PM
  • I wouldn't suggest using shadow copies as a bakcup tool. Only that you may be able to get your deleted files from WHS using Shadow copies.
    Shadow copies work on your shares in WHS. Only if your PC supports the use of shadow copies. Mine does and I can right click on any of my WHS shares and then get the "restore previous" line and bam, I can restore the files I have deleted or changed.
    Shadow Copies won't help in this case.  First, he has an HP MSS (which has Shadow Copies disabled by default).  Second, even if it was enabled (as it is on OEM) it requires some tweaking/hacking to get it to work after a reboot of the server (which is unsupported).
    Monday, April 6, 2009 9:54 PM
  • I only said that shadow copies "may" help. My friends that have HP WHS's have all enabled shadow copies for use on their HP WHS's.
    If Dorne has done the hack and has the appropiate OS software installed on their PC then shadow copies may help.
    If none of those items above have been done then shadow copies won't help.
    Dorne didn't mention about not doing the hack, although you would think that if Dorne did do the hack then DOrne would know about shadow copies. Having said that, I do all sorts of things to my WHS that I forget about doing.
    Just trying to find an out in an unfortunate situation for Dorne. Even a small chance of hope is better than no hope at all.
    Monday, April 6, 2009 11:06 PM