Forever "Calculating Sizes" and will not let me remove failed drive RRS feed

• Question

• I had a drive which reported as failed. However, when I try to remove it WHS tells me that I dont have enough free space to remove the drive. I have 1TB of free space when I RDP into the server and look at disk management however (spread among 4 other physical drives).

When I go to Server Storage, WHS never completes the Calculating Sizes and never tells me how much free space WHS thinks I have which I think is causing this problem.

Since I have 2 identical hard drives in this machine and the failed drive is one of them, I can't even physically remove the drive and see if that makes a difference since there doesnt seem to be a way to tell which drive is the failed one.

How can I get WHS to complete the size calculation so I can remove this drive from the pool?  I have duplication on so I'm not too worried about losing files but this issue blocks me from doing much with my server.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:24 AM

All replies

• Shut the server down.
    • Disconnect a drive.
    • Boot the server.
    • If you got the failed drive, use the console to remove it; it's the one now listed as "missing".
    • If you didn't get the failed drive, shut the server down and swap drives.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:35 AM
  • Thanks for the response Ken. I have a question about this approach.

If I remove the valid drive, do I need to worry about losing the files on it as WHS cant find it, then finds it again? This would seem to be a similar scenario to the drive failing and WHS failing to handle it gracefully.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:41 AM