How do I transfer two Contacts lists to another computer RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new Toshiba laptop less than a week ago and am in that "crazy" period during which I'm transferring programs, files and other data from an older computer I will no longer be using.

My question is this: the old computer was sub-divided into two users, one for myself, the other for my wife.  We both used Outlook 2003 -- both of us having separate Outlook mail accounts, and each of us developed our own Contacts list.  The lists were accessible if you clicked on the "Contacts" word in Outlook's lower-left side (and that gave you the entire Contacts listing on one screen), or if you typed in the first letter of the name of the addressee in the "To" box in a new message, Outlook would show all those recipients whose name or e-mail designation began with that letter.  You would then click on the one that applied and Outlook would copy that particular addressee's name in the "To" box.

Now I want to transfer those two Contact lists to the new computer (rather than printing out each Contact list -- on several sheets of paper, and then manually retyping them -- a very time-intensive process).  Is there an easier way to do this?  On the new computer, I have, as I did on the older computer, two Outlook accounts.  

I've read that I should copy the "Outlook.pst" file from the old computer (onto a jump drive), then recopy that file on the new computer.  But will the new computer recognize that there should be two Contact lists - one for me, another for my wife.  One set of Contacts is already on the computer, but I cannot access it unless I click on "Contacts" on the lower-left portion of Outlook's main screen.   If I copy the Contacts lists for my wife and paste it in the new computer,will it override my list?

I would appreciate any help.   Many thanks.

MEL VOGEL
    e-mail: adman@adelphia.net

Monday, July 30, 2007 1:39 AM

Answers

All replies