Drive size reallocation software RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2011 server SP1 with latest updates.  The main drive '0' is 1TB which is divided into C: 60GB and D: 940GB more or less.

Needless to say the C stuff is slowly getting bigger but the drive is not.  Can someone recommend a software to resize the C drive using the D drive space.  The D drive is almost empty.

Now what I did so far is shrink the D volume but that of course did not help because the new free portion is on the wrong side, not contiguous with the C portion.  Now in concept I can most likely make a new drive out of the new free portion, move the stuff from the D to the (new drive letter), and then delete the old D volume.  Once this is done the free space will be next to the C drive and allow me to expand the C drive.  All sounds ugly and error prone so if there is something that can handle it for me for a small price I would be happy to pay that.

Thanks

John J. Hughes II

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hmm, that's not how it works! There is no reason why your C: drive should be growing. Do you have any shared folders on that drive? If so, use the Dashboard to move them to D:.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:52 PM
  • I use my server for things other than file storage.  I don't keep files there but programs seem to be getting bigger all the time and all the different versions of .NET... well it is getting smaller.  Very slowly but smaller!

John J. Hughes II

Tuesday, October 21, 2014 9:14 PM
  • this help?

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/296-system-drive-c-full-on-whs2011/

Best,

Howtodo

Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:29 AM
  • You can search ZDNET Downloads for Windows utilities like this. But I don't think there is a way to increase the partition size.
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Yes ZDNET has several and I have found several others but was hoping for recommendations since I for one don't trust ZDNET download much. I have gotten to much crap from them. It also adds a level of search difficulty that is has to be for a server and not a PC.

So far the below link seems the most reasonable but for a one time solution in my case it seems expensive at $139/$229.  If a person managed servers or such it seems like a reasonable price, just not reasonable for one time use.  Oh well I guess I will have to do it the hard way.

https://www.partition-magic-server.com/server.html

John J. Hughes II

Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:00 PM
  • How about this one: http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/

It's free. Used it when Disk Management couldn't do what was needed and it worked great.

Just beware, if you use this on a client that is being backed-up by the server, you might want to check whether the backup schedule of the client still includes the appropriate partitions.

Thursday, November 6, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Thanks but I don't think the free version works on a server.  You have to get Partition Master
    Server
    for 159 if you want to use it on a server.

John J. Hughes II

Thursday, November 6, 2014 11:21 AM
  • I used a partition manager program to extend my C drive, and when I rebooted it crashed and I had to reinstall from scratch.  I'm wondering if there is something in WHS that only works with a 60GB partition.

Kevin

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:11 AM
  • Hi,

in the dashboard you could move all shared folders and backups from drive D: (which should be the data volume on the system disk) to a second physical disk, if your server has one. Or back up the content, delete it and move these now empty shares temporary to C: drive through dashboard.

After that is completed and you made sure, that there is no other relevant stuff on that volume, you can delete the D: volume through disk management console or diskpart, increase the size from an administrative command prompt on the server desktop with diskpart size=x after selecting the C: volume (replace x with the size in MByte, which you want to attach to the C: volume) and recreate D: afterwards with the reduced free space.

I.e.

diskpart
    select volume c:
    extend size = 140000

would add 140 GB from free (unpartitioned) diskspace located directly behind volume C: on a basic disk

With 3rd party software like Acronis Disk Director o the mentioned freeware you would eventually be able to perform the task directly without emptying the data volume even on a server, if you boot the server from Acronis recovery media or Windows to Go.

But like with all serious disk operations, you should have a current backup of all the important stuff - not that a crash or power outage brings down your server during the process and you remain with nothing.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:36 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Olaf Engelke Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:01 AM
    Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:20 AM
  • Ah, I see. It would not surprise me if it would work on WHS2011 anyway but otherwise you *could* take out the disk, install it in another PC running, say, W7, do the work and re-insert into the Server. I have done this with OS-drives using USB adapters.

Otherwise, the suggestion of cleaning out (by moving or backup/restore) of the D partition and using diskpart (although I would try Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management) should work as well.

A few further thoughts, having a backup before proceeding, through whatever route, would be my choice (but then, I already backup the Server). Also, IMHO, Phil is correct when he says the C:\ drive should not fill up.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 12:21 PM