Alt + O RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi,

I took the 70-536 Exam last week. In the optional tutorial at the beginning of the exam, there was a question were they encouraged/taught you to scroll. Unfortunately for me, this question (though vertically long) just fitted on the LCD screen I had in the testing center – so I could not try/test it out.

The “tip” supposedly told me that I could scroll using the scroll-bar (which is obvious) and if I remember/read correctly that I could use the Alt + O on the keyboard for scrolling.

Since the question fitted on the screen, I could not test out the scrolling using the keyboard shortcut. I also did not note this down on the scrap sheet they gave me. However in the real exam, I attempted Alt + O, Ctrl + O, Alt + Q, Ctrl + Q and this did not seem to work.

Did anyone else see/notice this problem? I am pretty sure it was Alt + O, but I may be wrong.

It really sucks that the mice provided at the testing center do not have the scroll. In longer questions, especially those where the answers have 10+ lines of code each, you can answer them faster if you can quickly determine what are the differences between the various options. This requires a lot of scrolling. Sometimes your mouse pointer slips off the scroll-bar, on to the text of one of the answers, and it gets checked/selected. This is bad particularly at the end when you are reviewing your answers. It would be much better to have the keyboard shortcut to work.

I am asking this because I expect to be taking the 70-562 in the next couple of months. I would like this information for that.

Regards,

O. O.

P.S. I got a really good score on this exam, so this is not gripe about a failed exam.

Monday, October 11, 2010 11:37 PM

Answers

• Hi

Generally a lot of the keyboard shortcuts do not work in the testing software, simply because if someone accidently presses the wrong button they may not know it, may answer incorrectly etc. So it is removed.

I agree with you on that you should be able to use the keyboard (I use it more than the mouse in my day to day development) but considering that if you could use the excuse, I didnt know I selected that answer as an excuse for a failed exam, you can probably see why its not enabled.

just my opinion

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:53 PM
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure about the Exam Software itself, but I always had some issues with scrolling when I used the practise Tests of MeasureUp and SelfTestSoftware.

(The wheel never worked for me in these software suits and I never used the keyboard. When I tried to do that sometimes I accidential changed the choosen answer which can be really ____.

So I never tried to use the keyboard for scrolling.

And my advice is always: Just take the time and use the mouse. I would never fool around with some keyboard combinations. You have so much time to answer the questions so there should be no problem in using the mouse.

But of course: That is my own view of this topic. Some people might want to use the keyboard only. But at least for me it would be a complication that I do not like to have in an exam. And I would not try around. Esp. not ALT Q or so - I do not want to close the software in mid of the exam my accident (Ok, that should not happen, but who knows. A failed exam because a developer did something strange could be something that I would call "not nice". :)

So sorry, that I couldn't help you with the keystrokes to scroll in an exam, but maybe my view on this topic helped a little bit, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Arrow-down=scroll down    or     Arrow-up=scroll-up         works in most applications opened in a Window   I haven't tried it in an exam app, but if the scroll bar is there, it should work.
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:06 AM

All replies

• Hi

Generally a lot of the keyboard shortcuts do not work in the testing software, simply because if someone accidently presses the wrong button they may not know it, may answer incorrectly etc. So it is removed.

I agree with you on that you should be able to use the keyboard (I use it more than the mouse in my day to day development) but considering that if you could use the excuse, I didnt know I selected that answer as an excuse for a failed exam, you can probably see why its not enabled.

just my opinion

Blog: http://www.certsandprogs.com

70-515 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-536 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-505 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-562 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    70-433 Objectives List with MSDN Links
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure about the Exam Software itself, but I always had some issues with scrolling when I used the practise Tests of MeasureUp and SelfTestSoftware.

(The wheel never worked for me in these software suits and I never used the keyboard. When I tried to do that sometimes I accidential changed the choosen answer which can be really ____.

So I never tried to use the keyboard for scrolling.

And my advice is always: Just take the time and use the mouse. I would never fool around with some keyboard combinations. You have so much time to answer the questions so there should be no problem in using the mouse.

But of course: That is my own view of this topic. Some people might want to use the keyboard only. But at least for me it would be a complication that I do not like to have in an exam. And I would not try around. Esp. not ALT Q or so - I do not want to close the software in mid of the exam my accident (Ok, that should not happen, but who knows. A failed exam because a developer did something strange could be something that I would call "not nice". :)

So sorry, that I couldn't help you with the keystrokes to scroll in an exam, but maybe my view on this topic helped a little bit, too.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 7:15 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi

Thanks Niall By Testing Software are you referring to the software that we take our tests when we go for testing, or the practice software used by various training providers.

I am certain I got this from the Tutorial at the start of the actual exam. If keyboard shortcuts were disabled, then why did the the Tutorial at the begining of the exam say that you could use the keyboard shortcuts

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 8:15 PM
  •  

Thanks Konrad for posting.

I decided to email Microsoft (MCPHelp@microsoft.com). They seem to be asking me to contact Prometric??? Is the tutorial at the beginning of the exam created by Prometric?? I have no clue. I wrote back to them. I would put their response here.

Regards,

O. O.

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:35 PM
  • Has anyone tried to email Microsoft at MCPHelp@microsoft.com? Don’t try – its ____. These guys (probably from India) don’t seem to understand anything. Next, I got them on the phone, and it made a bit more sense i.e. they did have the information, and they feel reluctant to mention it in the email. Now they are trying to forward my request to “some other department”.

O.O.

Friday, October 15, 2010 11:41 PM
  • Arrow-down=scroll down    or     Arrow-up=scroll-up         works in most applications opened in a Window   I haven't tried it in an exam app, but if the scroll bar is there, it should work.
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:06 AM
  • Hi Nano,

at least in the practice test applications of MeasureUp and SelfTestSoftware this is not working. And the default windows behaviour with arrow keys in special controls is selecting the next option!

So I can only say, what I am doing: I take the mouse and click around with that to scroll and select the answers. When using the practice tests I had it multiple times before, that I wanted to scroll (using arrow keys or page up/down) and changed the selection. And then I was wondering, why the answer was wrong - where I was 100% sure, that I never selected that answer :).

But of course: I never invested time to play around with the possibilities of the software. When I am in an exam, I just klick through it and when I am done, I do not feel like playing around - I just want to get the result, the printout and 2 days later the change on my transcript :)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Saturday, October 16, 2010 9:41 AM
    Answerer
  • Just an update. After getting the support of Microsoft on the phone, they told me that they do not have the information I am looking for. They then sent me an email that said:

We have sent your challenge to the appropriate department for review. You can expect a response to your exam challenge within 4-6 weeks.

These guys are sure slow. In 4-6 weeks, I would probably take another exam and figure this out. If I receive a response I would post it here.

O.O.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:38 PM
  • I've got the same issue. It's because MeasureUp's core software is very lame. It appears to be written in VB6/OCX files. On one of my Windows 7 installations the scrollbar almost disappears completely making it very hard to even select the scroll bar for scrolling. I can't get the software to work in Windows 8 without compatibility mode. I'm all about software reusability--but Measure Up's software has usability problems that are quite obvious. Some of their case questions for SQL Server go down four screens making the click-click-click...n very tedious and annoying. Scrolling definitely not Microsoft's issue... Measure Up's software doesn't measure up.
    • Edited by Mark Solomon Monday, May 12, 2014 2:12 PM clarity
    Monday, May 12, 2014 2:10 PM