Scalability information - large amount of data RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping I can get some comments from the group.  I am designing an XRM solution witch is going to hold a large number of sales orders as well as customers.  We are going to be feeding a large about of customer information and sales orders into the system via BizTalk from many of the national and regional gym chains.  If you take just one of the gym chains they have a little under 4 million members witch would translate info 4 million customers within the XRM solution.  Most of the scalability information I am finding talks about the number of users accessing the system and not the amount of data stored within the system.  I was hoping to see what type of SQL Servers we would have to get in place to drive this solution.

Cheers

Ryan

Monday, September 13, 2010 8:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

Since crm will be storing the data in the sql db, look at the sql scalability white papers. 

We have large clients that have entities with millions of rows and it works ok.  But we did size the sql backend properly and in a couple occasions did create new indexes in order to speed up certain reports.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    • Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Monday, September 13, 2010 12:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, September 13, 2010 3:15 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 12:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

Since crm will be storing the data in the sql db, look at the sql scalability white papers. 

We have large clients that have entities with millions of rows and it works ok.  But we did size the sql backend properly and in a couple occasions did create new indexes in order to speed up certain reports.

• Proposed as answer by Edwin2win Monday, September 13, 2010 12:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Monday, September 13, 2010 3:15 PM
    Monday, September 13, 2010 12:29 PM
  • Thank You this is helpful I will look into the SQL scalability white papers.   am I correct in saying this is not something we want to host within CRM Online?  Is there a supported migration from CRM Online to CRM on-site?  I was thinking CRM Online would be a good option for development and proof of concept.

Cheers 

Ryan

Thursday, September 16, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

You could host with crm online as they scale pretty well.  The items to keep in mind are teh current restrictions when developing plugins and srs reports in crm online.  This will change with the new 2011.  As for migration, yes there is a path to migrate from crm online to crm on premises or partner hosted.

Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:40 PM