Slow file transfer via Dashboard in WHS 2011, fast using console RRS feed

• Question

• If I set up a file transfer from one shared folder on my WHS 2011 to another via Dashboard on my Win7 machine it is very slow, about 6 MB/sec. If I do the exact same transfer on the console of the WHS2011 machine itself, it is very fast, 80-100 MB/sec.

Does anyone know why this is so and more importantly, how to fix it? It seems that once the file transfer is set up it should not have mattered how it was done.

Thanks.

Mike

Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:04 AM

Answers

• The cause was a bad cable from server to switch. It was only running at 100 Mbs. Now at 1000 Mbs and transferring folders at 50-60 MB/sec.

Thanks to those who responded and those who thought about it.

Mike

• Marked as answer by mform Monday, December 12, 2011 8:38 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:38 PM

All replies

• There's nothing to fix; it's a function of how you're doing the transfer. When you do it locally on the server, you're transferring from disk to disk, and get something approximating the full sustained performance of your hardware. When you do it from a client, you're doing the transfer over the network: Share A -> client -> Share B, which is limited by bandwidth on your network, your hardware's real world network performance (which doesn't generally come anywhere near the rated speed), etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:06 PM
  • I don't think that I am transferring over the network. I am transferring from one share on the server to another share on the server. I am just setting it up on the client, i.e. opening the shares and copying a folder from one share to the other share. Again, both shares are on the server, I am not transferring from the client to the server so the network should not be involved. This is the same regardless of whether the two shares are on the same or different server drives. I seem to remember doing this before and getting reasonable (50 MB/sec) transfer speeds. Now, I get 5-6 MB/sec.

Am I incorrect in my assumption? Are you saying that a server share to server share transfer goes through the client?

Thanks for your response

Mike

Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Ken is correct. Just look at the Network Tab in Task Manager on the Client to confirm.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Phil:

Thanks for the insight. When I do a transfer the Network Utilization goes up to about 10% with a transfer rate of about 5-6 MB/sec. So, you're saying that the data to be transferred goes up to the client from the source server folder and then back down from the client to the destination server folder over the network?

This seems very inefficient, although I guess that it is the general case for any transfer. I understand that the Gigabit network speed won't be anywhere near the capability of the 1000 bps, but 5 MB/sec (40 mbs) is kind of pathetic. I am sure that there must be a lot of overhead for things to go so slowly. When I do a similar thing with my Freenas server, transferring files from one share to another, I get somewhere between 50-75 MB/sec.

This extremely slow data rate makes using WHS2011 less than ideal. Is there nothing that can be done to "fix" this?

Mike

Sunday, December 11, 2011 4:36 PM
  • I am pretty sure that it's not a WHS 2011 issue so can't be "fixed" as such. Doing the same on my system (copying from one Server Share to another share on the same server, set up on a Client connected by a GB LAN) for a large file (video file), I get between 50 & 60 MB/sec.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:07 PM
  • Phil:

That is what I remember, it was 50-60 MB/sec. Why it has now dropped to 5 MB/sec is what has me puzzled. That was why I was wondering what could cause this and how to possibly fix it.

Mike

Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:52 PM
  • The cause was a bad cable from server to switch. It was only running at 100 Mbs. Now at 1000 Mbs and transferring folders at 50-60 MB/sec.

Thanks to those who responded and those who thought about it.

Mike

• Marked as answer by mform Monday, December 12, 2011 8:38 PM
    Monday, December 12, 2011 8:38 PM