Server USB backup drive chkdsk RRS feed

• Question

• My backup is taking hours. WHS 2011

So I thought I would do a chkdsk on all the drives.

Question, being as how the USB backup drive is not assigned a drive letter how do I/can I, do a chkdsk on it.

Thanks

Bob

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:27 PM

Answers

• You can select the volume in Disk Management, then run chkdsk from there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:55 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:47 PM
  • Select the volume, not the disk, right click, and "Bob's your uncle!"

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Friday, September 14, 2012 4:48 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Nothing unusual there. The "% Complete" scale is not linear with the amount of data backed up but it is with the number of disks backed up. For example, on completion of the 100MB System Reserved partition, it will show 25% complete (depending upon the total number of partitions being backed up). This will occur very quickly compared to the time taken to back up a large data disk.

If you really want to see what's happening, look at the Server Manager backup data from your WHS Server desktop.

Subsequent backups, which are incremental. should be much quicker.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:27 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:16 AM
  • If it's every time, it's not "normal" in the sense that it's taking an unusually long time. It may, however, be "normal" for your particular hardware. Remember that USB is a shared bus; if you have multiple devices connected to the same USB controller (normally in your Southbridge chip) bandwidth is shared among all of the devices. 

Your best bet is to dig into Server Manager from the desktop, and see what's going on with the backups.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:59 PM
  • In Server Manager you can look at each individual backup that's already taken place in terms of the data transferred and whether it was a full or incremental backup. You can also monitor a current backup to see actual progress as it goes through its cycle.

PS That time is not unreasonable for USB 2.0 if it is for some reason doing a full backup each time - Server Manager is your friend!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:17 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I know of no reason why there should be a difference between Auto and Manual backups - Are you doing anything with the backup drive between subsequent backups?

Incidentally, one of my servers decided to do a full backup of a partition containing 700GB of data last night. Using USB 3.0, it took just a few minutes over 2 hours.

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Friday, September 14, 2012 4:47 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Then I am out of ideas!

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies

• You can select the volume in Disk Management, then run chkdsk from there.

• Marked as answer by Bob Millard Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:55 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:47 PM
  • I was over there and did not see that.

I will have another look.

Thanks

Bob

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Select the volume, not the disk, right click, and "Bob's your uncle!"

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 8:49 PM
  • "Bob's your uncle!"

I must be extra slow today?

Bob

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:14 PM
  • Bob's your uncle @ Urban Dictionary...

Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:19 AM
  • I did have success.

However, that did not fix the issue, after all the chkdsks, it does the first 75% of the backup in 15 minutes and the next 25 over the next 5 hours.

It is a USB 3 drive 2T, plugged into an USB 2 interface.

The other day I ordered a USB 3 adapter and perhaps that will help.

But something is not right in Bobland.

Thanks for the chuckle!

Bob

Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:25 AM
  • Nothing unusual there. The "% Complete" scale is not linear with the amount of data backed up but it is with the number of disks backed up. For example, on completion of the 100MB System Reserved partition, it will show 25% complete (depending upon the total number of partitions being backed up). This will occur very quickly compared to the time taken to back up a large data disk.

If you really want to see what's happening, look at the Server Manager backup data from your WHS Server desktop.

Subsequent backups, which are incremental. should be much quicker.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:27 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 11:16 AM
  • Phil

Thanks for the response.

That is just it, every backup takes hours.

Same indication, front end goes fast and the back takes hours.

I am backing up 600G onto a 2T USB drive.

If 6 hours is normal that is fine, if you do not think that is normal please let me know so I

can do some more looking.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Bob

Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:45 PM
  • If it's every time, it's not "normal" in the sense that it's taking an unusually long time. It may, however, be "normal" for your particular hardware. Remember that USB is a shared bus; if you have multiple devices connected to the same USB controller (normally in your Southbridge chip) bandwidth is shared among all of the devices. 

Your best bet is to dig into Server Manager from the desktop, and see what's going on with the backups.

Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:59 PM
  • In Server Manager you can look at each individual backup that's already taken place in terms of the data transferred and whether it was a full or incremental backup. You can also monitor a current backup to see actual progress as it goes through its cycle.

PS That time is not unreasonable for USB 2.0 if it is for some reason doing a full backup each time - Server Manager is your friend!

• Edited by Phil Harrison Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:17 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Phil and Ken, thanks for your help.

Things I have learned today!

I learned that I could look at the details of a backup and see what type it is/was and how long it ran.

With that information, I learned that I was wrong in some assumptions I was making.

When my system does an automatic backup it takes about 16 minutes to complete and the backup is an Incremental on C:, D: and G: and Full on the  EFI Partition.

Not being up at 1AM I did not know that.

When I was doing tests, I was doing a manual backup and that is totally different.

The manual backup does an Incremental on C: and D:

However it does a full backup on the G: drive and that is the one with the 600G of data, hence the 7 hour backup time that I was seeing.

Why a automatic backup is treated differently I do not know and as far as I am concerned I do not really care.

Thanks again

Bob

• Edited by Bob Millard Friday, September 14, 2012 3:00 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 2:59 AM
  • I know of no reason why there should be a difference between Auto and Manual backups - Are you doing anything with the backup drive between subsequent backups?

Incidentally, one of my servers decided to do a full backup of a partition containing 700GB of data last night. Using USB 3.0, it took just a few minutes over 2 hours.

Friday, September 14, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Phil

I have made no changes at all.

I have done this several times and after learning that I could look at what and how things are backed up I went back and checked.

Every manual backup shows full for the data and every automatic backup shows incremental (except the initial backup).

Bob

Friday, September 14, 2012 1:40 PM
  • Then I am out of ideas!

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Bob,

Have you found an answer to your problem.  I have the same issue on two different USB drives I use to backup the server.  I takes around 6-8 hours or more to make a backup.  I made a backup last night...shut down the WHS 2011 server after the backup completed.  This morning after starting the WHS I started a another server backup on the same USB drive that I had used the night before.  I was thinking it would not take long since I had shutdown the server.  Well here it is 5 hours later and it is still backing up.  What ever the issue is it sure sounds like we have the same problem.  Please share with me any thing that may help.  Thanks....

Sunday, October 7, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Bob

I went back and looked at the server manage as Phil suggested and I have the exact same results that you are describing.  If I let WHS do the scheduled backup it will do a short incremental backup.  If I tell it to backup the server it will do an incremental backup of my drives but on my drive F it backs up 600 GB each time, even though it show it is an incremental back up in the server manager.  Thanks for the input....please let me know if you find a solution. 

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:05 PM