Can you reinstall windows oem vista after replacing a hard drive? RRS feed

• Question

• My hard drive is going downhill so I have to replace it but I live on the other side of the world from any of microsoft's people who speak english and the price of the phone call would get me a colossal new hard disk.

I would like to know if changing a hard drive and reinstalling oem vista will require reactivation or not. I keep hearing Vista is far more paranoid than xp. Want to have a plan b ready just in case.

• Moved by Darin Smith MS Friday, April 15, 2011 12:34 AM Vista issue moved to the Vista forum (From:Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:39 AM

Answers

• "Farstanley" wrote in message news:7aa32bcf-f033-47b2-a2f2-1f43ffedc3a4...

My hard drive is going downhill so I have to replace it but I live on the other side of the world from any of microsoft's people who speak english and the price of the phone call would get me a colossal new hard disk.

I would like to know if changing a hard drive and reinstalling oem vista will require reactivation or not. I keep hearing Vista is far more paranoid than xp. Want to have a plan b ready just in case.

(MODS - please move this to the appropriate Vista forum!)
    If you use the manufacturer's Recovery disks to reinstall, then you should have no problems - check your manual for instructions on how to create the disks if you haven't already done so, or contact them direct to purchase a set.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:29 AM