none
Achievement earned but no recognition points RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, was just making sure this was correct - I started a new question in the WCF forum, and after a few posts, one of my replies was marked as answer by 'the community' (i.e. not me!). I earned some sort of bronze achievement (something about posting code), but I didn't earn any achievement points. Why is this? 

I can sort of see if it's my own post and my own answer, but then why would I earn an achievement? Seems a bit inconsistent. Not sure then how I would earn points, even having read the guidelines.

Cheers, Mike.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:24 AM

Answers

• I see three answers by sifting through your user threads list. Looks like you got 10 points for each and an achievement for the 2nd one (since the 2nd one was an answer with code).

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wcf/thread/809a8d83-2041-47fa-a2cc-c8d5581688c2  (answered own question, marked by other user)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wcf/thread/57c61d7d-49a4-49c7-8f9f-f5ffae73f4d3  (answered own question, marked by other user)

This one is an answer but was self marked and we don't give points for that. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/255e7760-3fbf-44bb-923b-fcdae64f9de5  (answered own question, self marked)

Are there additional answers that you contributed that were not marked by you (self marking doesn't reward points).  

You can gain achievements without getting points for them, they are separate things. We plan to release a more granular document explaining this at a later date, in the mean time let me know if you have contributions you think you didn't get points for.

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Michael Dent Friday, August 12, 2011 7:55 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:08 PM
  • If your answer in your own thread was marked by a moderator, then this doesn't bring you points. Only answers in other people threads are counted towards points. It doesn't matter in this case (if that's your own thread) who marked the response.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    • Marked as answer by Michael Dent Monday, November 7, 2011 3:08 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:06 PM

All replies

• Achievements are given based on general participation, there is no quality measure on them. Points are given based on the quality of your contribution.

Specifically on your achievements, you inserted code here which got you that achievements. That was also marked as the answer to the question so you received points for that.

That help?

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:25 PM
  • But that's the point I didn't recieve any points for my answer, I had 20 points before it was marked as an answer and 20 points after, and I am absolutely 100% sure it hasn't changed. So what you're saying is, the quality of my answer is appauling?!
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Your account shows 2 answers provided that have earned you points. Is that not right?
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:07 PM
  • Yes and no, I think there may be 2 questions I have answered (although I thought there was more) however I DEFINITELY didn't earn any points from the last question that was marked as an answer (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wcf/thread/57c61d7d-49a4-49c7-8f9f-f5ffae73f4d3/#5edce19a-e169-4c56-b692-d2388499f515). In my profile it says 'Included a code snippet when answering theProvider type not defined WCF error question in the Windows Communication Foundation Forum.'. I earned a bronze achievement, whatever that is, but no extra points. There were 20 before and 20 after. In fact, I have not any extra points since the points system changed, although I don't think my contributions are enough to actually earn any extra.

Does this make sense?!

Cheers, Mike.

Thursday, August 11, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I see three answers by sifting through your user threads list. Looks like you got 10 points for each and an achievement for the 2nd one (since the 2nd one was an answer with code).

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wcf/thread/809a8d83-2041-47fa-a2cc-c8d5581688c2  (answered own question, marked by other user)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wcf/thread/57c61d7d-49a4-49c7-8f9f-f5ffae73f4d3  (answered own question, marked by other user)

This one is an answer but was self marked and we don't give points for that. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sharepointdevelopment/thread/255e7760-3fbf-44bb-923b-fcdae64f9de5  (answered own question, self marked)

Are there additional answers that you contributed that were not marked by you (self marking doesn't reward points).  

You can gain achievements without getting points for them, they are separate things. We plan to release a more granular document explaining this at a later date, in the mean time let me know if you have contributions you think you didn't get points for.

Community Forums Program Manager
    • Marked as answer by Michael Dent Friday, August 12, 2011 7:55 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 7:08 PM
  • Well, I am pretty sure I had 20 points before the second one on that list (which is actually the latest one) but I will trust the word of Microsoft, they're never wrong (little harmless Microsoft dig there :) )!. Certainly can't argue with the maths, as I don't expect to get any points for self marked answers (gosh that's embarrasing) and if you only get 10 points per answer... well... maybe I just like arguing with people who know more than I do.

Can't remember answering any other questions so I'll mark your reply as an answer, thank you all for taking the time to look at this for me! I will reply to this post if I have this problem again after answering a question.

Many thanks, Mike.

Friday, August 12, 2011 7:54 AM
  • Hi, you said to let you know if I have contributions that I don't think I got points for - apologies but I couldn't find a way to private message. About a week ago one of my posts was marked as an answer by a moderator however no points were added to my account. The thread was started by myself however, do we still not get points for that even though I did not mark it as an answer myself?

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/adodotnetdataproviders/thread/3213fb64-f4a4-43ab-85b1-274d64243ee8/#dbdb6f39-133b-474f-9292-9fd171e5b4e6

Sorry for replying to this thread again, not paricularly bothered but I'm just a bit confused by the rules (doesn't take much!).

Monday, November 7, 2011 9:32 AM
  • If your answer in your own thread was marked by a moderator, then this doesn't bring you points. Only answers in other people threads are counted towards points. It doesn't matter in this case (if that's your own thread) who marked the response.

My blog
    • Marked as answer by Michael Dent Monday, November 7, 2011 3:08 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:06 PM
  • OK no problems thanks for answering.
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:08 PM
  • Seems weird though that I've already got 20 points for answers in my own threads marked as answers by moderators (see first answer by Brent Serbus).
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:20 PM
  • Are you sure that you never answered in other people's thread or never got helpful posts? As I know, answers in own threads are not counted.

My blog
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:34 PM
  • I'm sure, check the links above or my account. Someone's going to take my points away aren't they?! ;)
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Someone has to check your points then :) I looked into your Activity and as far as I know, for all your latest answers you should not get points.

However, there is possible to get points for starting an 'interesting' thread, e.g. thread that has many than 10K (or so) views. May be that's the case?

My blog
    Monday, November 7, 2011 3:45 PM
  • Ha, I doubt it. Not a big deal anyway thanks for replying, although I've probably just got myself into trouble.

Monday, November 7, 2011 3:50 PM