replace motherboard in windows home server issues with shim.dll and drivers RRS feed

• Question

• I replaced motherboard in WHS 1 sp3 error message popsup repeatedly shim.dll not valid windows image  interferes with driver install. I have gigabyte GA-G41m_eS2l with core 2 duo . SHould I install xp 64 drivers or win7 64 drivers or xp32 bit ?

where do I find shim.dll on microsoft home server install dvd ? thanks

lately hassles with WHS have me thinking about buying and mac mini snow leopard server . My macbook pro  connects to WHS more consistently than 3 other win 7computers,  1 win7 64 bit pro, 1 win 7 64 bit premium, 1 win 7 32 bit pro. ???  Primary use of WHS is backups and streaming media to WDTV Live attached to TV with cat 6 gigabit ethernet. Any help appreciated.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:30 AM

Answers

All replies

• WHS is 32 bit. If you need any drivers, I would suggest using the XP 32 bit. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=3024&ost=xp#anchor_os

Just to verify that I understand your question correctly. Are you trying to do a repair install when you get that error message, or did you just install the board and let the server boot up? You will most likely have to reinstall the OS if you replace the motherboard, unless it's the same model as the previous one.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:37 AM
  • Thanks. After allowing windows home server to do 61 updates and 7 reboots it still could not find shimeng.dll file and USB was not working reliably to use a mouse . I decided to remove qll the drives and manually backup docs, pictures , music, and reinstall from scartch on a new 1.5 Terabyte Seagate Drive drive.  The issue with a reinstall on the old hard drives with a new motherboard and CPU was the only option presented from WHS DVD install was to wipe drives. There was not reinstall or repair. I did also archive the problematic shimEng.dll file if that would be of any use to anyone. It's really too bad that the server is not intelligent enough to find or replace a key system file using windows update.

Ironically the install DVD would enable usb mouse but the broken old WHS server could not find usb mouse even with it enabled in bios of new motherboard. I was also surprised that it took several hours and many many  reboots to get new server install up to powerpack 3 level. It appears they don't offer cumulative patches.

Can you use the downloadable trial version with the install key from original WHS 1 DVD package ?

The DVD I have came from Microsoft employee store as a gift from a friend.

I was very tempted to just switch to Vail preview using a manual synch of shared folders to provide redundancy  but I will test Vail  first in VMware. Thanks 

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:41 PM
  • As far as I know, the trial software has a time bomb preventing you to run the software after a period of time anyway. Using an original key wouldn't help.

Regarding the updates taking forever. Did you have to install the NIC drivers after the OS was installed? A friend told me that the installer would download all the updates automatically if able to access the internet, however as my realtek is not installed properly I haven't been able to verify this myself.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:20 AM