How to Install WHS v1 on a Dell T110 II RRS feed

• Question

• I am re-posting this as I saw that the question I posted to was "answered". I have heard that WHS 2011 (v2) will run on a T110. I just purchased one with that in mind (new T110 II) but was hoping to try WHS v1 (the old version) with drive extender. I have had a lot of trouble with the install. Seems to go fine until the reboot when I get a blue screen of death. The Forums suggests using ATA settings in the BIOS, but using those the install does not complete and stops at an error about loading the UI. Dell seems interested in the problem and thinks I may be able to load the right HD drivers for the old version at some point in the install... they think it is a driver problem and are used to installing Small Business Server on this machine. They have been working on this for a couple hours. I tested installing a copy of Vista on the system and it worked, so I know the basic hardware is OK. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:01 PM

Answers

• I was able to do the install and these are my notes: 1. Install took 1h with 5-6 reboots. 2. Only driver needed was Chipset (same with trail Windows 7 install). 3. Using the book: "Microsoft Home Server 2011 Unleashed" as a guide on Kindle on laptop next to Server a. Set up server on fixed IP (192.168.0.254) b. Suggested in #3 to just join your Windows 7 HOMEGROUP and not change WORKGROUP settings (worked perfectly). c. Skipped setting up remote desktop until I fully understand security implications 4. Moved My Music (300GB) to the Music Server folders (two drives are created initially on WHS one for the system and the other for the data). I had originally mounted the source drive internally in the T100 II. 5. Now I need to learn how best to back up the server and data. I need to read about mirroring the drives. All in all I am not so sure this is better than having another Optiplex or other Dell tower running Windows 7 and using Microsoft’s Backup and Media server software. This would at least backup the server correctly. I may still go back to this solution as backing up the server and its data seem to be a problem... reading the notes they want to have you attach a USB drive?!? With Windows 7 I could just use Norton Ghost and a secondary internal drive....
    • Marked as answer by jerryyyyy Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:37 AM

All replies

• Your server may be to new for server 2003 so doesn't have the driver support built in.

You can integrate the drivers using nlite, the driver package is here. run and extract, it will try to autorun and should error, if not cancel the install. The drivers you want are in the sub directory called 'All'.

In nlite select drivers and follow the prompts. Select multiple driver folder. This will provide chipset and ahci drivers

Sunday, May 29, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I have discussed this at length and Dell does not feel that WHS v1 will work on the T110 II becvause of motherboad and other hardware inconpatibilities.  Apparently it goes beyond the drivers as WHS v1 is build off Server 2003.  The T110 II will not run Server 2003.  It will run 2008, so I am going to try, despite my reservations, WHS 2011.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 4:55 PM
  • I was able to do the install and these are my notes: 1. Install took 1h with 5-6 reboots. 2. Only driver needed was Chipset (same with trail Windows 7 install). 3. Using the book: "Microsoft Home Server 2011 Unleashed" as a guide on Kindle on laptop next to Server a. Set up server on fixed IP (192.168.0.254) b. Suggested in #3 to just join your Windows 7 HOMEGROUP and not change WORKGROUP settings (worked perfectly). c. Skipped setting up remote desktop until I fully understand security implications 4. Moved My Music (300GB) to the Music Server folders (two drives are created initially on WHS one for the system and the other for the data). I had originally mounted the source drive internally in the T100 II. 5. Now I need to learn how best to back up the server and data. I need to read about mirroring the drives. All in all I am not so sure this is better than having another Optiplex or other Dell tower running Windows 7 and using Microsoft’s Backup and Media server software. This would at least backup the server correctly. I may still go back to this solution as backing up the server and its data seem to be a problem... reading the notes they want to have you attach a USB drive?!? With Windows 7 I could just use Norton Ghost and a secondary internal drive....
    • Marked as answer by jerryyyyy Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Jerry I would like to have more information about the Drivers (I am Installing WHS v1 on a Dell T110 II as well ), dell have this bunch of drivers (I think the one I need is for the HDD) and they are .exe and the installation ask me for .inf can you help me with this please???
    Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:30 PM
  • This might work: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=R308727

if not the chipset is the Intel Cougar point/C200, a google search may turn up drivers.

Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:08 PM