Remote Access Hangs at Setting Up Router Stage RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had WHS 2011 Remote Access working & auto-configuring my router without difficulty. Stupidly I switch Remote Access off as I was having some problems with wmpnetwork.svc using 90% of the CPU (now settled) & it can longer set up remote access and hangs at setting up router stage. I've been through all the other threads and there doesn't seem to be an answer to this. There's clearly a bug in WHS2011 where it tries to set up the router even if you ask to skip the stage.

I've forwarded ports 80, 443 and 4125 to the Server's IP(which is set by a fixed IP via DHCP from the router). While the set up wizard for Remote Access is running I can remote access but it blocks anything else happening on the dashboard whilst it's running & can run for hours without changing from 'setting up the router' dialogue.

Any ideas how I turn on remote access to the Server without going through the wizard or reset the system so it works?

My router is a TP-Link WD8970.

Thanks for any ideas. 

Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:17 PM

All replies

• hi,

I guess that maybe some 3rd party applications lead to Remote Access Hangs.

Try the following steps and check the result.
    Step 1: Disconnect the external devices connected to the
    computer except Keyboard and Mouse and check the result.

Step 2: Check if there is any program that's using this memory. Perform clean boot i.e. disable all the non Microsoft programs to find the culprit and check the result.
    a. Open the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    b. From the article, follow "Step 1: Perform a clean boot" Executing these steps will disable all the non Microsoft programs running on the computer.
    c. Check if the issue persists.
    d. If the issue does not persist in clean boot, it means that some non Microsoft program is causing the issue.
    e. To find out the program that's causing the issue, try "Step 2: Enable half of the services" to "Step 6: Resolve the problem"
    f. Once you find the culprit, check if there are any updates or patches for the program. If you find any, install them and check the difference or reinstall the latest program.
    g. From the article, follow "Step 7: Reset the computer to start as usual"

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 6:27 AM