Building An Operating System RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys i want to do what the title says. I want to buidl an small operating System of my own
    1.)For that  i want no how do you program a code for bootloader and fix it into MBR.
    2.)how do you write an Low level program and save it on sector 0 of the hard drive.
    3.)How do create a linker to jump from Real mode(16bit) to Protected Mode(32 bit)
    4.)How do you Redirect your Bootloader to to Execute an Kernel Process
    5.)Load drivers or Build the driver foundation
    6.)At last make Kernel Execute the executable file which starts the actual GUI of your Operating System.

Rest of the work i can do.

I know i am asking very very BIG thing, so i dont have any problems if you help me in bits and pecies any information on any of the above points would be gratly helpfull for me.
    • Moved by Nancy Shao Monday, February 8, 2010 9:38 AM To get better support (From:Visual C++ General)
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• There is a very good series on building an OS on CodeProject starting here:
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cross-platform/BeginningOSDev.aspx

He goes into pretty good detail about probably more things than you're thinking about.  I suggest you start there.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Hi JackSparrowPirates,

I'm moving this thread to "Where is the forum for..." forum, since this issue is little related to Visual C++. And you will get better suggestion about which forum your question is better suitable for post in "Where is the forum for..." forum.

Best Regards,
    Nancy
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, February 8, 2010 9:38 AM