Couple Of Questions (Pre Sale) RRS feed

• Question

• #1 Can I use it as a workstation? (Install Office, Firefox etc)?

#2 Can I install Visual Studio 2005 (and 2008) on it?

#3 Will I be able to access music, video, photos stored on it via my xbox 360? (seen conflicting reports on this, so thought I ask again)

#4 Can I run a website off it?  Can I host multiple domain named applications (like Server 2003) or will I be stuck with 1 domain name (like XP)?

Travis

Friday, October 19, 2007 1:56 PM

Answers

• Travis

To answer your questions:

1 - I suppose you could, but why would you want to? Its a server product and also it is suseptible to breakage by installing other products on it.

2 - again, see 1

3 - yes, as long as they files are supported

4 - there are add-ins that support websites

Hope that helps?

Andrew

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:03 PM

All replies

• Travis

To answer your questions:

1 - I suppose you could, but why would you want to? Its a server product and also it is suseptible to breakage by installing other products on it.

2 - again, see 1

3 - yes, as long as they files are supported

4 - there are add-ins that support websites

Hope that helps?

Andrew

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:03 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

2 - again, see 1

Would Server 2003 follow under the same guidlines?  Or is there something special about Home Server that I should be aware of when running Desktop Apps?  Thanx for your help.

Travis
    Friday, October 19, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Hi Travis

Its not quite that straight forward. Effectively WHS is a cut down version of Windows Server 2003 and is really designed as such. Bottom line, you shouldnt be running any desktop apps on WHS if you want to ensure nothing gets broken.

Why would you want to run desktop apps on it anyway? You really should consider just running WHS and leaving it to does its job :-)

Andrew

Friday, October 19, 2007 2:14 PM
  •  Andrew Edney wrote:

Hi Travis

Its not quite that straight forward. Effectively WHS is a cut down version of Windows Server 2003 and is really designed as such. Bottom line, you shouldnt be running any desktop apps on WHS if you want to ensure nothing gets broken.

Why would you want to run desktop apps on it anyway? You really should consider just running WHS and leaving it to does its job :-)

Andrew

If you are thinking of using this as a dual purpose machine you really should'nt. WHS is meant to be a headless server and is designed to do things unattended and have all the resurces available to it to do those things. If you are not up to building a server for yourself out of some off the shelf parts then you should probably look at the HP ( or Others) ready made box that you just wire into your network and configure and go.

Friday, October 19, 2007 4:31 PM