i just want my files RRS feed

• Question

• I just found out that my copy of Windows is not valid.I have no problem that its bootleg,but,I don't see why because my copy's bootleg that I should have to pay $149 for an OS that you're about to phase out All I want to do is get my music off of this computer and put those music files on my other computer that runs Windows 2000(Another obsolete OS) I plan to switch this computer over to Linux Ubuntu there's got to be some way to get my files off of this computer without paying $149. If I can't get my files, I feel that Microsoft is resorting to digital extortion. Even if my copy is bootleg, I should have the right to take all of my files and move on.
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:46 AM

Answers

• In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Hello Sando,

Maybe I can offer some advice which can help you. First where did Windows come from which is currently installed on your system? Next how did you find out Windows was non-genuine? There are processes established which can assist you. Your question, "I have no problem that its bootleg, but, I don't see why because my copy's bootleg that I should have to pay $149 for an OS that you're about to phase out. 

There are situations which can cause Windows and Office to become non-genuine. Let me give one example. Have you taken your computer in for maintenance? Customers have taken in their systems along with all the software received when purchasing their system. The customer picks up the system and viola' no problems whatsoever until they need to download an update or even a template used with MS Office. Suddenly their system is non-genuine. The customer's computer was not installed with their software but a blocked version of a product key. Also the software could work for several weeks, months or even a year or more then suddenly becomes blocked. Volume licensing (VLK) are purchased/issued to large corporations, governments, and schools for example in order to make software installation easier for the mass computers located within their areas. In turn if the key becomes compromised then the government, school etc requests Microsoft to block that key and reissue another key. In turn you have options available such as filing a piracy report. Hopefully this has provided just one example as how this may happen. 

First, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.  Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Sando WGA should not have any effect for backing up your music files. Simply locate the files on your hard drive copy them to: CD or DVD- ROM, zip drives, or an external hard drive. Please tell us how WGA has impeded your capabilites to save your music files. 

Thank you and please touch back with us so we may provide more information.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  

Sando,

Neither WGA nor Windows Product Activation is designed to prevent you from accessing files that are on the computer.

If you have exceeded the 30-day grace period for product activation, XP will only allow you access to activation screens.  In such case try to log on using Safe Mode to gain access to your files.

[Hmmmm, just wondering....if you pirated Windows, I wonder if "your" music is pirated, too....hmmmmm]

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:44 PM

All replies

• In order to resolve your non-genuine licensing issue, please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, click on the Get Genuine button which will provide information on your options which include how to acquire a WGA Kit.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Hello Sando,

Maybe I can offer some advice which can help you. First where did Windows come from which is currently installed on your system? Next how did you find out Windows was non-genuine? There are processes established which can assist you. Your question, "I have no problem that its bootleg, but, I don't see why because my copy's bootleg that I should have to pay $149 for an OS that you're about to phase out. 

There are situations which can cause Windows and Office to become non-genuine. Let me give one example. Have you taken your computer in for maintenance? Customers have taken in their systems along with all the software received when purchasing their system. The customer picks up the system and viola' no problems whatsoever until they need to download an update or even a template used with MS Office. Suddenly their system is non-genuine. The customer's computer was not installed with their software but a blocked version of a product key. Also the software could work for several weeks, months or even a year or more then suddenly becomes blocked. Volume licensing (VLK) are purchased/issued to large corporations, governments, and schools for example in order to make software installation easier for the mass computers located within their areas. In turn if the key becomes compromised then the government, school etc requests Microsoft to block that key and reissue another key. In turn you have options available such as filing a piracy report. Hopefully this has provided just one example as how this may happen. 

First, we request all users initially run the Genuine Diagnostics tool to try and identify the issue you may be having.  Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Sando WGA should not have any effect for backing up your music files. Simply locate the files on your hard drive copy them to: CD or DVD- ROM, zip drives, or an external hard drive. Please tell us how WGA has impeded your capabilites to save your music files. 

Thank you and please touch back with us so we may provide more information.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  

Sando,

Neither WGA nor Windows Product Activation is designed to prevent you from accessing files that are on the computer.

If you have exceeded the 30-day grace period for product activation, XP will only allow you access to activation screens.  In such case try to log on using Safe Mode to gain access to your files.

[Hmmmm, just wondering....if you pirated Windows, I wonder if "your" music is pirated, too....hmmmmm]

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:44 PM