Project Professional 2010 crashes during a save and save job hangs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a problem that Project Professional crashes when users try to save a project. The save job gets stuck in the server queue with the status "Getting queued". The save job does NOT continue when Project Professional starts up again. THe project is still in the cache, but the project cannot be checked in because there is already a save job in the queue.

Cancelling the save job or force checking in the project lead to the cache getting corrupted. The only thing we can do then is to remove the cache and the users will lose all their changes.

We have checked the server Sharepoint and windows event logs and the client windows event log and have not found any error messages.

We're running Project Professional 2010, EPM 2010, Sql Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 64 bit. We're running Project Professional on a Citrix server.

We have activated monitoring counters on the client citrix machine to see if we have a resource problem (memory, hard drive space,...). Does anybody have experience with this kind of issue? What else can we investigate? Is there anything we can try so that users will not lose all their data when this happens?

Thanks,

Quint Mouthaan

Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:54 PM

Answers

• Quint:

A couple of possiblities:

1) I am not a Citrix guy, but when working with clients, I've seen problems like this when roaming profiles are not setup correctly to handle Project/Project Server session state requirements. You can probabaly eliminate this as a possibility by installing Project Pro locally, and then test the same scenario. If you experience the same problem, then the next suggestion may work. If not, you know where your problem lies.

2) Eliminating possiblity number one, then you need to tell us if this happening on one project, all projects, one user, all users, etc. If it's one user, and one project, it may indicate corruption in the project itself. In this case, saving to XML and reimporting the project should solve the problem. Definitely delete the user's cache before doing this.

My bet is on possiblity #1. :)

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 1:10 PM