Moving CRM 4 DB to new SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have an existing CRM Server which has Server 2003 SP2, SQL 2005 SP4, SSRS, and CRM 4 R14. We have one Organization only, and hence only 2 databases: xyz_MSCRM and MSCRM_CONFIG.

I now want to run this on a virtual machine. So I created a VM with Server 2003 SP2, SQL 2005 SP4, SSRS, and CRM 4 R16 (note a newer rollup). This VM has empty databases called xyz_MSCRM and MSCRM_CONFIG (same names as on physical server). I tried following the steps on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934: I back up my 2 DBs, and put the backups on my VM. However, I am not able to restore my DBs. When I try to restore xyz_MSCRM, I get an error:

Restore failed for Server 'VMCRM'
    Additional Information:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The path 'D:\Microsoft SQL
    Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\FTData\ftcat_documentindex_ad40cc6a45c74a.............' has invalid attributes.
    It needs to be a directory. It must not be hidden, read-only, or on a removable drive

The folder ftcat_documentindex_ad40cc6a45c74a... does exist on my original physical server, but the equivalent folder on my new VM has a different alphanumeric string. I tried copying the original folder over to the VM as well, but I get the same error.

I tried doing the MSCRM_CONFIG DB as well, and here I get the error:

Restore failed for Server 'VMCRM'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
    Additional Information: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlError: The backup set holds a backup of a database
    other than the existing 'MSCRM_CONFIG' database. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• I'd recommend to backup your DBs (MSCRM and CONFIG), restore them in the new DB server and then do a Redeployment with existing DBs
    Julio
    • Marked as answer by Alex Bernal Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:31 PM

All replies

• You shouldn't have empty placeholder databases there at all.

I wouldn't move the MSCRM_CONFIG database at all.  I would just re-install the server on your virtual and copy the mdf file for the xyz_MSCRM db to the new server and attach it.  How are you moving the org database exactly?

Then after the server install you can pick to attach an existing org or after the initial installation you can attach an existing org in the deployment manager.

The article, when followed to a T that you mention above should work for you.

Jamie Miley
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 3:53 PM
  • I'd recommend to backup your DBs (MSCRM and CONFIG), restore them in the new DB server and then do a Redeployment with existing DBs
    Julio
    • Marked as answer by Alex Bernal Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:36 PM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Depending on the size of your databases, the easiest thing would probably be to just do a P2V conversion of your existing server. You'd have to take CRM and SQL Server offline during the conversion process, but it would just about guarantee everything would be configured correctly at the end.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:17 PM
  • Thanks for the help all. In the end, I found the problem was my empty DBs. Whether or not I should have them, they are created when I install CRM server. My problem was I gave them the same name as my existing DBs. What I should have done is named them differently.. In the case of MSCRM_CONFIG, the entire DB has to be DROPPED before restoring it from backup. Not sure why, but it works.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 2:36 PM