Which drive should I install OS on? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm building a machine to install WHS. My motherboard supports 1 PATA/ATA133 drive and 4 SATA drives. I have an older 250GB ATA133 drive I could repurpose. I also have two new 1TB SATA drives.

Since I want to maximize the storage space, I was planning to install the OS on the 250 GB PATA drive. Is that the best way to effectively leverage the hardware? Or should I not bother with the PATA drive and simply use one of the SATA drives as the OS disk?

Thanks.

- Eshwar

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:41 AM

All replies

• I have a 250 gig as my sys disk and it's more then enough to handle my needs.  MS says to use the biggest/fastest drive but I prefer a 250 gig because it's landing pad is large enough and then the data will actually be moved to the terabyte drives.. 
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:19 AM
  •  

I would go with the two 1 tb drives only.  If you fill those up, I doubt if 250 gb will matter much.  Plus, depending on your system, if you do fill those up, you will want to add an additional 1 tb drive (or maybe something larger by then).  A 250 gb drive may only get in the way... not to mention if you ever wanted to remove it... that could potentially be a disaster.  I would only add drives that I don't plan on removing after reading some of the stories on this forum.

With the new power pack coming out, you can always use the 250 gb drive as a data backup for some directories on your home server... if you have off-location backup plan in place.  If you don't have an off-location backup plan, the 250 is a great start.  lol

Not to mention that MS says to use the largest drive first.  I forget exactly why this is said though.  But normally, if the maker of a product tells you to do x and you don't do it, you might see trouble later for stated or unstated reasons. 

But IMO it makes sense to add the first drive as the biggest drive since I would only add that same size drive later (for my needs, which are 500 gb drives). 

Sunday, February 10, 2008 8:07 AM
  • I still like using 250gb as system because even with 20gb used by the c:, your dBig Smileata will have 230gig or so space for the landing pad.  Then the drive extender will move your data to the terabyte drives.  I also prefer a minimum of three drives so your landing pad stays empty even with duplication turned on.
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 9:28 AM
  • I'm in agreement with Enchanter, I use 3 disks in  my servers, it just keeps all data off the system disk, which just adds that extra bit of security in case the system disk fails. Also, 250 should be just fine, after the first flurry of file transfers, the landing stage just doesn't get the same amount of use.

Colin

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Rule of thumb, general concensus, whatever you want to call it is your main drive should be the same size or larger than any other drive in your system.

SYSTEM: 1GB
    DATA DRIVES: 1GB & 250GB

Would be my suggested setup.  Then you don't need to worry about any potential space issues if you ever want to swap a drive out, etc...
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:12 PM