none
Microsoft Money via Ultrasoft Money on Android! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Maybe this helps nobody but me, but I have been using this for a few months now, and wanted to make people aware.  I was a huge Palm OS supporter back in the day, taking a long time to drop my Palm TX to move to an android device.  One of my big misses was using Ultrasoft Money on the Palm.  I had tried a few different MS Money alternatives for android, and they just didn't do anything near what my 10+ year old version of MS Money could do.  But I missed having the data on my palm. 

I had tried Styletap and their free trial, but it didn't do what I had hoped since I couldn't perform a hotsync to get data to/from the computer.  I had an ugly way of hotsyncing a palm, copy the backed up data to a folder to upload it to Styletap, and then import that data.  It looked nice, but just didn't work.  Especially considering the $50 cost.

Last November, I noticed that there is PHEM - The Palm Hardware Emulator.  This only runs up to OS 4, so we're stuck with ugly 160-160 color resolution, unless you use the 3.0 version of the Handera device (320x320).  But PHEM gives me the ability to utilize Ultrasoft Money on my phone to input transactions while out, and then hotsync from anywhere on my network to get those transactions back into MS Money.  It's finally allowed me to use MS Money anywhere like I used to in my Palm days.  I can't use the sunset version as I don't believe Ultrasoft ever made a version that talked to that, so I'm using Money 2006.  All for a nice price of 99 cents.

Maybe somebody still has a copy of Ultrasoft Money on their computers and is interested in trying it out.  I highly recommend it!  I'm in no way affiliated with PHEM, just wanted to pass this on!  Of course back up your data before playing, but I haven't had any issues.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:20 AM

All replies

• Hey ! where i found Ultrasoft money 5 full for download? ??? please help  me :)
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Hi--I installed PHEM on my Samsung Galaxy S4 using a Palm m505 ROM image.  I have a purchased copy of Ultrasoft Money 5 that I had been using on my Palm Treo 700p smartphone with Money 2007.  I was able to successfully configure PHEM to Hotsync with my desktop, and I was able to install Ultrasoft Money on my Galaxy S4.  However, the first time I try to open Ultrasoft Money on my phone, it says the trial period has expired and asks for my registration code.  I enter the correct registration code, and I'm using the same Hotsync name that's tied to the registration code, so everything SHOULD work--except that a message pops up on my phone saying that the registration code is incorrect, even though it's not!  Did you encounter this problem?  If so, how did you fix it?
    Friday, June 19, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Did you find an answer?  I have the same problem. Have not got to the point of hot sync but I have yet to find anything comparable to MS Money and Ultrasoft. Mint and whatever else just does not compare sadly.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 1:16 PM
  • Hi MTrulz.  I never did find a solution to the problem of Ultrasoft Money on PHEM not accepting my valid registration code.  I've resigned myself to carrying around my old Treo 700p in my backpack and using it as a glorified Palm Pilot (with no cell service, since I now have my Galaxy S4).  It's not very convenient, but better than any of the alternatives.  Earlier this year I tried to switch over to Quicken (which does have a mobile app that's not as good as Ultrasoft Money), but I found Quicken to be a mess.  In fact, I was sort of in disbelief as to how Money lost out to Quicken in the marketplace.  I was expecting Quicken to be a lot better.
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:34 PM
  • Just noticed the thread was still going here.  I believe I also had an issue, but had to use the correct version of Ultrasoft Money (5.0.1 in my case).  There's a few things I can think of, and apologies if these are close to the same as those goofy help centers making sure you check that your machine is plugged in!

1)  Does PHEM actually have the proper hotsync name?  I believe I had to use changename to get it correct:  http://mulliner.org/palm/changename.php

2)  Is the Ultrasoft Money version on your Treo the same as on the S4?  I had the wrong version loaded at first.

3)  Are you hotsyncing both devices on the same computer?  2 devices can't share a name, so maybe one was changed (hence changename above).

Worse case scenario, I think I still have my wife's reg code at the house, and I can use an old device and try to register her's from scratch to see if I have any issues...

Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:57 PM
  • Hi joeags--I just noticed your response.  To answer your questions:

--Yes, I made sure that PHEM had the correct Hotsync name (which you can configure from within PHEM).

--I'm using Ultrasoft Money 5.0.2 with Microsoft Money 2007.  Before installing Ultrasoft Money on my Galaxy S4, I uninstalled Palm Desktop from my desktop computer and uninstalled Ultrasoft Money from my Palm Treo.  I then reinstalled Palm Desktop and reinstalled Ultrasoft Money on my S4.  I was trying to make things as "clean" as possible.

--One interesting thing is that if I changed the date in PHEM to within 30 days of when I purchased Ultrasoft Money (back in early 2007), Ultrasoft Money worked fine on my S4 because the software thought I was still within the 30-day trial period.  But this didn't seem like a permanent solution because I worried that having the wrong date in PHEM would cause syncing problems with Money.  When I set the date in PHEM back to the correct date, I would get (as before) a pop-up saying that the 30-day trial period had expired, and asking me to enter my registration code.  Then, when I entered the correct code, a message displayed saying that the code was incorrect (even though it wasn't).

--I actually corresponded with PHEM tech support about this to see if they had any ideas about how to fix the problem I was having.  They speculated that perhaps my registration code was tied not only to my Hotsync name, but also to my Palm Treo hardware.  I don't think that's the case, though.  Plus, you apparently had success getting Ultrasoft Money up and running on Android, which suggests that it's not tied to the original hardware you installed it on.

Any ideas are welcome, since I'm at a dead end!  I would be interested if you could try repeating the installation procedure on another device to see if you run into any issues.

Saturday, September 19, 2015 2:08 PM
  • Sorry for the delay here, I've been lazy in getting another phone hooked up.  Bad news here, in that I don't have the registration code any more for my wife.  So I can't get a second version working.

Now, what I did notice is that when I hooked up a second "Palm" with her name, Ultrasoft Money on the computer automatically expired her version, without using the 30 days at all.  So... what I wonder... do you have a 2nd computer that you could install a fresh version of the Palm Desktop and Ultrasoft Money, one that hadn't had either installed before?  No guarantee, but that's my final thought.

Actually, one final thought before going that route... what does Ultrasoft Money on the desktop show in hotsync manager?  When you go into Applications - Money - About, there should be your Registration Name, and in the box below it, "Money" with the serial number.  Last thought is that the serial number isn't here / correct... I'm reaching!

Hold on (I could edit this message of course, but...).  I'm using Ultrasoft Money 5.1.1 with Money 2006.  My e-mail is my username with yah00.  Send me a note, and I'll forward a copy of 5.1.1 - not sure if that would help you, but it's worth a try.

Last last scenario - if you care to share your hotsync name / serial number, I can try out on my devices here.

Saturday, October 10, 2015 5:57 AM
  • I can confirm that the experience that iceman and others have had is my experience as well. Ultrasoft Money on PHEM is not accepting a valid registration code. A support team member at PHEM told me that the likely reason is that the emulator is not an exact replica of the hardware of the Palm device. Ultrasoft is probably trying to reference some aspect of the Palm hardware that is not present in the emulator. That said, he told me that if the developers at PHEM had access to a platform that is known to work, then perhaps the issue can be debugged. I wonder, joeags, since you seem to have made it work for you, maybe you can email them and provide them with information regarding your setup. Just a thought. 
    Tuesday, January 5, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Bad news here.  I upgraded my computer and installed a copy of windows 10, and finally got the palm desktop to load.  I installed the same version of Ultrasoft Money desktop, and now I can't get my registration code to work either.  I guess I just had the perfect setup before with my ancient Dell desktop and something. 
    Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:52 AM