none
change pushpin order RRS feed

• Question

• I did not find this and I am fustrrated so someone please help!  I am new to S&T.  I do inspections by drive by and I have added my pushpins via a .cvs excell report that is given to me by my company.  I import them thru the data wizzard.  Once in S&T I add them as stops.  I know how to optimize them from a start location.  I usually have over 100 stops per day.  I need to change the order and was looking for an easy way to change stop # 88 to 14, 87 to 15, 86 to 16 and 93 to 7, 13 to 88, ect...... this way I make my own route which I think is faster for me.  I would like to click on 88 and change its number to 14.  The only way I know how is to use the up and down arrows.  Am I missing a better way that is faster and does not take an hour or so to customize my route?
    Wednesday, May 2, 2012 3:31 AM

Answers

• As Richard says, there is no easy way to re-assign order sequence of a route.  However, there may be one or more work-arounds.

For instance, you could break a route down into smaller segments.  As you know, the data import wizard converts spreadsheet data into a set of pushpins.  From there, I assume you are creating a route by clicking on "Add pushpins as stops" for the pushpin set and you are optimizing the route using "optimize stops" in the route planner panel.  After you have done that and if you see an area of the map that you would rather do, say, first rather than last, zoom in on that area of the map.  Go to the route planner and delete the entire route (clicking on the XX symbol), go back to the map view and drag a rectangular area around the pushpins, rigtht-click on that area, and select "Add pushpins as stops."  This will create a mini-route that you can optimize and connect the dots.  Repeat as required.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:55 PM

All replies

• I don't think you can.

In MapPoint (same route engine and route interface), you could do this through the programming interface (S&T doesn't have a programming interface). The trick would be to come up with a user interface which was easy to use - not as simple as it might at first sound.

Richard Marsden
    MapPoint Add-ins at Mapping-Tools.com

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 12:34 PM
  • As Richard says, there is no easy way to re-assign order sequence of a route.  However, there may be one or more work-arounds.

For instance, you could break a route down into smaller segments.  As you know, the data import wizard converts spreadsheet data into a set of pushpins.  From there, I assume you are creating a route by clicking on "Add pushpins as stops" for the pushpin set and you are optimizing the route using "optimize stops" in the route planner panel.  After you have done that and if you see an area of the map that you would rather do, say, first rather than last, zoom in on that area of the map.  Go to the route planner and delete the entire route (clicking on the XX symbol), go back to the map view and drag a rectangular area around the pushpins, rigtht-click on that area, and select "Add pushpins as stops."  This will create a mini-route that you can optimize and connect the dots.  Repeat as required.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:55 PM
  • Philip K1,

Thank you as I was not aware of this feature.  I tried it today and broke up my route into 2 trips and it worked like a charm.  Thank You, Thank You

Vince.vap

Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:52 AM
  • You're quite welcome!  Thanks for reporting back that it works for you.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 12:56 PM
  • P. S.  You are not limited to a rectangular area as one might infer from my post of yesterday.  You can use circles or even freeform shapes to define the area.  Those are both found in the Drawing tool bar and they work the same way as the rectangle.
    • Proposed as answer by Philip K1 Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:01 PM
    Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:00 PM