Error moving CRM Database from MSSQL2005 to MSSQL2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to move my CRM databases from MSSQL2005 database server to MSSQL2008 server. I also want to move Reporting Services from 2005 to 2008.
    I followed the article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952934
    But during the wizard of CRM Application to point to the new SQL server and SQL Reporting Services I get an exception error:

Web service request SetItemDataSources to Report Server http://xxx/ReportServer/ReportService2005.asmx failed with SoapException. Error: The data source 'Company CRM4' cannot be found.

There is no Data Source named "Company CRM4" in my Reporting Services.

How can I fix it?

Regards,
    Jarkko
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:34 AM

Answers

• Did you upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 before redeploying or did you redeploy SQL 2005 and then upgrade SQL 2005 to 2008?  The link you referenced describes how to redeploy the CRM server in various scenarios but you also have the upgrade to deal with. 

Here is the link on upgrading to SQL 2008.  You'll need to follow the instructions carefully.  Also, I suggest you run the Upgrade Advisor first as it will show you if you have any issues to resolve before upgrading.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622.aspx
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:32 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Jarkko,

you must install the reporting services on the new server and than publish the crm reports to this new server. There is a tool in the crm server tools directory named publishreports.exe to publish the crm reports to the new reporting server.
    Viele Grüße

Michael Sulz
    MVP für Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Proposed as answer by Jimmy Morales Friday, February 5, 2010 7:07 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Thank you Michael for your response.
    But I get the same error when using Publishreports.exe Tool.

Unhandled Exception: Microsoft.Crm.CrmReportingException: The data source 'Company CRM4' cannot be found. ---> System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The
     data source 'Company CRM4' cannot be found. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.DataSourceNotFoundException: The data source 'Company CRM4
    ' cannot be found.

The problem must be with one of the reports. The log says that few of the reports are published successfully. When the Tool reaches to one certain report, the exeption occurs.

Regards,
    Jarkko
    Monday, February 8, 2010 9:04 PM
  • Hi Jarkko,

Can you able to see the reports from the report server management site? check if you can see them directly from the report server, also check the data source for CRM and for Reports.

another cause could be because you didn't discharge the CRM upgrades Installation packages in the installing process, these updates are mandatory for CRM when you have environments with Wk8 and SQL2008 and you must discharge for all CRM components.

Also check if you have installed the CRM SRS data connector in your report server, and the CRM lastest roll-ups.

Regards...
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 1:03 PM
  • Did you upgrade SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 before redeploying or did you redeploy SQL 2005 and then upgrade SQL 2005 to 2008?  The link you referenced describes how to redeploy the CRM server in various scenarios but you also have the upgrade to deal with. 

Here is the link on upgrading to SQL 2008.  You'll need to follow the instructions carefully.  Also, I suggest you run the Upgrade Advisor first as it will show you if you have any issues to resolve before upgrading.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb677622.aspx
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:32 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

the scenario is currently like that. My CRM application, CRM Databases and Reporting Services are on one box with Windows Server 2003 and MSSQL 2005. I have set up a new MSSQL server with Windows 2008 x64 and MSSQL 2008 x64 and Reporting Services 2008. I want to move my CRM Databases and Reporting Services to the new box. CRM Application will remain on the old server.
    I have the latest Rollup installed to my CRM and MSSQL 2008 has latest CRM Reporting Services Connector installed.
    And I noticed also an error on my MSSQL 2008 server that happens same time when the exception occurs.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Report Server (MSSQLSERVER)
    Event ID:      108
    Report Server (MSSQLSERVER) cannot load the TERADATA extension.

I can see the Reports on the old server successfully and I cannot find data source named 'Company CRM4' anywhere.

Regards,
    Jarkko
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:53 AM
  • Hi Jarkko

Maybe, instead only moving the databases, you would try an Redeployment process Pointing to your new SQL and SRS servers....

Regards..
    Friday, February 12, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Hi,

Mabye you'll right Jimmy. I'll first try to find more clues about my problem.

And I figured out the TERADATA extension error. It seems that MSSQL 2008 by default registers the TERADATA extension, but the required assemblies are not included with MSSQL 2008 installer. So I just disabled the TERADATA extension in Reporting Services configuration.

But my CRM Reports problem still exists.

Regards,
    Jarkko 
    Monday, February 15, 2010 8:59 AM