Dell Claims the Same OEM CoA Key Will Validate Windows XP Pro AND Windows Vista Business RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone!  BACKGROUND: I recently ordered a new Dell Studio 15, Model 1555, notebook computer direct from Dell, and took delivery last Saturday.  I had custom ordered my notebook with a selection from the various hardware, software, and extended warranty protection options that were available for this model.  This particular notebook was ordered with the optional 32-bit Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 Centrino processor.  And because I deal with a variety of older application software that was not designed or certified for - and thus might not run very well or at all under Windows Vista, I ordered this notebook with the optional Dell P/N 421-0083, Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 w/ bonus Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Pro) SP3 - English.  As you might expect, soon after the notebook arrived, I inventoried all the items in the shipping box against the Dell packing list, and performed an operational check of the notebook (I'm very satisfied with its design, hardware quality, and performance).  The notebook arrived with Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 pre-installed as the operating system.  As expected, in the notebook shipping box I found two Dell OEM Operating System Recovery DVDs in sealed paper sleeves: one for Windows XP Pro, and the other for Windows Vista Business.  Each sleeve had a label on it which stated, in effect: 'This software requires a Microsoft Certificate of Authencity (CoA) Product Key - see the label on the bottom or side of your computer.'  Although there were no such labels visible anywhere on the external surface of the notebook, I eventually found a single MIcrosoft - Dell OEMAct Windows Vista Business Product Key Label, Microsoft P/N X13-04660, inside the lithium battery compartment well on the bottom of the notebook (the label was not visible until the battery pack was removed from the notebook).  As I'm sure you know very well, in the event a Windows operating system is installed or reinstalled for some reason, a valid Product Key has to be input for the installation to proceed to completion and enable Microsoft Genuine Advantage.  PERCEIVED PROBLEM:  There was no Microsoft-Dell OEMAct Windows XP Pro Product Key label anywhere on or in the notebook or in its shipping box.  ATTEMPTED SOLUTION:  I called Dell Customer Service about the apparently missing Windows XP Pro Product Key.  However, the Dell Customer Technical Representative (rep) repeatedly told me - despite my stated skepticism - that "the Windows Vista Business Product Key will ALSO properly activate the Windows XP Genine Advantage Validation."  QUESTION:  Is what the Dell rep told me really correct, or was this bogus information?  Frankly, I am still skeptical that statement is true, as I have used Microsoft Windows at work and at home since the computer ancient-times of the 1980's (Windows 3.1 anyone?) but have NEVER heard of any single OEM Product Key working on TWO different versions of Windows.  If that information from Dell is bogus, then I suspect there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Dell customers besides myself who ordered P/N 421-0083 with their computer, but who may find out the hard way that cannot reinstall or downgrade to Windows XP Pro.  Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks and Keep 'Em Flying!      
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:25 AM

Answers

• The Dell Customer Technical Representative gave you correct information. Whether you use a Dell Windows XP or Dell Windows Vista Business edition reinstallation disc to reinstall the operating system, you will not be prompted to enter a product key.  This is because the Dell Reinstallation discs are BIOS-locked to the Dell motherboard's BIOS.  Also, you can only install one operating system with the Dell discs.  In other words, you cannot dual-boot with the Dell Reinstallation discs.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by A.Nicholas.E Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:31 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:52 AM

All replies

• The Dell Customer Technical Representative gave you correct information. Whether you use a Dell Windows XP or Dell Windows Vista Business edition reinstallation disc to reinstall the operating system, you will not be prompted to enter a product key.  This is because the Dell Reinstallation discs are BIOS-locked to the Dell motherboard's BIOS.  Also, you can only install one operating system with the Dell discs.  In other words, you cannot dual-boot with the Dell Reinstallation discs.
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by A.Nicholas.E Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:31 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Hello A.Nicholas.E,

Could you run the mgadiag utility http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 and then copy and paste the results into a reply?

Just want to check to see if Dell is still using their standard XP Pro deployment PK ending in T6DFB-Y934T-YD4YT.

Thanks!

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Hello,

Carey and Dan are free to continue this thread, but WGA does not deal with Downgrades or how they are done and as such, I am not qualified to add anything to this topic.

If you find Dan or Carey's replys helpful, please click the "Vote As Helpful" button and if they answer your question, mark the thread as Answered.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Hello, I've been away on business last week, so now I'm back and catching up on things.  Thanks for your inputs to my questions.  In response to your question, yes, the Dell Windows XP SP3 OEM production key is the one ending in
    YD4YT.  I have not yet attempted to upgrade to Windows Vista Business on this notebook, but at least I have a key to it (found on the OEMAct label in the battery compartment).  Thanks Again, ANE       
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 2:30 AM
  • Hello A.Nicholas.E,

Thank you for helping by passing that on to us.  :-)

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, August 6, 2009 3:34 AM
  • hey carey heres a good one.i purchased for 40.00 a legit windows xp professional oem disc from red star computer in portland oregon with a code on the sticker i lost the sticker and found out thru microsoft theres a file on the disk that is suppose to have the product code key and i went to the file and yes it was there i typed it in and nothing happened.what can i do and my second question is i put it on the second one and it installed but will not let me activate it without a proper code can i obtain a free code or where can i purchase one if possible.thanks and have a great day
    Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:25 PM
  • Unfortunately, if you lost the COA sticker, you no longer have a legitimate Windows XP license which cannot be replaced.....sorry!

Carey Frisch

Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:32 AM
  • "wolfmanjackal" wrote in message news:1e0d3428-80ff-438d-ba95-1d7bf387c04b...
    hey carey heres a good one.i purchased for 40.00 a legit windows xp professional oem disc from red star computer in portland oregon with a code on the sticker i lost the sticker and found out thru microsoft theres a file on the disk that is suppose to have the product code key and i went to the file and yes it was there i typed it in and nothing happened.what can i do and my second question is i put it on the second one and it installed but will not let me activate it without a proper code can i obtain a free code or where can i purchase one if possible.thanks and have a great day

No Key found on any legitimate copy of Windows can ever be activated at MS's servers. They are all blocked from activation.

The whole idea of having Stickers is that they can't get lost - because they are attached to the machine itself.
    As Carey said, losing your  Key and sticker effectively means that you have no proof that you ever had a license for Windows. You will either have to purchase a new XP license, or upgrade to Win7

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:47 AM
  • As Carey said, losing your  Key and sticker effectively means that you have no proof that you ever had a license for Windows. You will either have to purchase a new XP license, or upgrade to Win7
     How is it even possible to purchase a new XP license? Most eBay auctions or online stores attempt to sell bogus copies.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:16 PM
  • Microsoft no longer offers Windows XP licenses.  You'll need to consider moving up to Windows 7.

Carey Frisch

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:20 PM
  • This thread was created 3 years ago. Please Do Not resurrect old threads.

Please create your own thread for your own issue/question/comment

<Thread Locked>

Darin MS

Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:17 PM