Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I  see that one of the requirements for Live OneCare is 256 MB RAM. I have an older Dell laptop with 128 MB RAM. Has anybody tried with 128 MB?

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:53 PM

Answers

• Even if One Care would install, with 128mb of ram the performance of the entire system would be dreadful.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:15 PM

All replies

• Even if One Care would install, with 128mb of ram the performance of the entire system would be dreadful.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Feel free to try, but the install will fail as the system doesn't meet the requirements. :-)

-steve

Sunday, August 5, 2007 1:33 AM
  • Hey, Steve, I looked around here in the Beta 2 section, trying to find answer to question I posted in the Production section, but don't see it.  So, this seems as good a place in Beta 2 as any to ask.

If I already have paid OC 1.6 version running on my PC,  will  the Beta 2 uninstall it or negate it?  Or will they run side by side?

I understand that the Beta 2 won't take a subscribed key at this time, until it's over and issued as production.  And, that I'd have to uninstall the Beta 2 and reinstall the production version when it is released.

I'd like to try the Beta 2, but I don't want to go through all that hassle if it wipes out my current subscribed OC installation.

I know I can just sit and wait for the Beta2 period to end, and then be upgraded automatically from my 1.6 version.

Any idea how long that might be?

BTW, OC only runs on XP and Vista, right?  So, if the author above is wanting to install in 128 MB of memory, is he running XP on so little?  I've got one running XP with 256 MB, but I haven't dared try OC in it.  I only use it to monitor some online security cameras, and currently have Norton AntiVirus and ZoneAlarm running on it.  {I've got one old PC still running Win 98 and it's hard to find any virus or firewall protection to run on it anymore.  I don't use it much, but it's got some old stuff that I still like to be able to access for historical purposes. Heck, I've even got the first hunk of Intel/MS iron (it's so big and heavy) I bought, with 5 1/4 floppy!  Don't even know what OS it has -- might be DOS or at best, Win 3.1!  One of these days I'm going to try it again just for fun.}

Thanks.

Pat

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 9:49 PM
  • In order to put the 2.0 beta on a PC that has 1.6 production on it, 1.6 would need to be completely removed. Once the beta is over, you would need to remove the 2.0 beta code and reinstall the production code and activate. Your subscription countdown will continue while you are on the beta, even though you aren't actually using production code at that point. There hasn't been any announcement as to when 2.0 will be released and current subscribers updated, but the rumors seemed to indicate an October timeframe. That rumor could be way off, though.

-steve

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 12:55 PM
  • When I tried to install my one care the installation fail can yo tell me what is Windows XP with service pack? This is the error code 0003-80004005 and if I need to download service pack where can I find it and/or how much does it cost?

Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:39 PM
  • This error code means you are trying to install One Care on a computer that is not running Windows XP Service Pack 2. To update to Service Pack 2 go to Windows Update and scan for updates. If Service Pack 2 is not present on your computer it will be downloaded and installed. You may also see this error message if you are trying to install One Care on a computer running Vista X64. If this is the case, install One care beta 2.0 from here - http://get.live.com/betas/en-us/onecare_betas 

Sunday, August 12, 2007 10:41 PM
  • JimR1,

I got in this link but there's no OneCare download option on it. Can you help me, where can I direct download a Vista x64 version of OneCare 2.0.

The options avaiable for me are these:

Your Information - Windows Live Search, Live.com and Windows Live Expo

Your Relationships: - Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Hotmail

And that's all!

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:21 AM
  • Friday, October 12, 2007 4:55 PM