none
New to 8.1 and wanting to run Hyper V and "try MS server 2012" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Built a new PC and dropped in 8.1 Enterprise ...... added in Hyper V and downloaded the "try" copy of MS Server 2012 R2.

I pulled down Windows Server 2012 R2 from the Technet Evaluation site and got the package:  130928-2229_server_serverdatacentreeval_en-us.VHD

I got it going and ran it for a few days (worked fine, taking 70-410 course) then a few days later I right clicked and  deleted the instance of the VM in Hyper V manager because I wanted to change the config, didn't touch the disks or anything else - Mistake 1

Tried to re-install it again and of course No Joy, tried a few things and got nowhere for 2 days, now this morning spent half a day re-installing 8.1 again to try to get the D/L going again ...... I see that 8.1's little account wizard thing restored my profile so maybe that's why the Hyper V STILL can't load the VHD.      Just a guess ......  Mistake 2?

Back in the new Hyper V install this morning in the re-installed 8.1 and STILL getting the error when I try again:

- open Hyper V Manager

- Actions- Import Virtual Machine

- Wizard Dialog box - next

- Locate Folder - Browse to new folder on hard drive

- Put in the path = C:\ HyperV Files  (there is a copy of 130928-2229.*.VHD in the folder)

- Click Select Folder - next

- Shows up in path = C:\ HyperV Files\ - next

- Get the wizard barf:

Hyper-V did not find virtual machines to import from location 'C:\HyperV Files\'.

The folder 'C:\ HyperV Files\Virtual Machines\' could not be found.  You might not have permission to access it.

So it's still tossing up the error because I screwed up two days ago when I deleted the original working install of it I'm guessing.

So is it because I already used the "try it"file once and I'm pooched even tho I re-installed 8.1?  Or is it a combo of the 8.1

wizard putting some thing back in the drive?  Or can I still go back and re-set something from the trial site, or what?

I've now lost 3 days in farting around with this problem .... am I pooched?   I do have a full MSDN Dev account so I could

probably manually install a legit key copy of the 2012 R2 in a new virtual machine on the PC but is there another way

to get the evaluation copy going again faster!?

Cheers'

Dave

Monday, November 16, 2015 2:02 PM

Answers

• To import a VM into Hyper-V, the VM would first be exported which will flush the VM memory and package all needed information to ensure current state can be restored later, as shown below.

So in your case, importing will not work. Here are a few tips to share:

• When creating a VM, place the VHD in a custom folder so you know where to find it.
    • If no checkpoint is taken and the VM is properly shut down, you can relocate the VHD and connect it to a newly created VM instance.
    • If there are checkpoints, use 'export/import' to relocate a VM.

HTH.

Saturday, November 28, 2015 5:24 PM

All replies

• To import a VM into Hyper-V, the VM would first be exported which will flush the VM memory and package all needed information to ensure current state can be restored later, as shown below.

So in your case, importing will not work. Here are a few tips to share:

• When creating a VM, place the VHD in a custom folder so you know where to find it.
    • If no checkpoint is taken and the VM is properly shut down, you can relocate the VHD and connect it to a newly created VM instance.
    • If there are checkpoints, use 'export/import' to relocate a VM.

HTH.

Saturday, November 28, 2015 5:24 PM
  • Here's what I get now:

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:43 PM