Storage Balance RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home build system.
    It had 3 drives, 500 Gig system, 500 Gig storage pool and 160 Gig storage pool.

I removed the 160 Gig from the pool, put a 1 TB in its place and added it to the pool.

My 500 Gig now shows 98% full and the 1 TB is 0% (I am getting that info from the Disk Management add-in).

So I removed the 500 Gig and then the 1TB showed 50%.

I added the 500 Gig back in and the 1 TB still showes 50% and the 500 Gig shows 0% used.

I even added the 160 Gig back in and it to shows 0%.

Question, are these numbers correct?

I have duplication on, so if all the data is on only one drive, then I would think nothing is duplicated?

I have restarted WHS, turned duplication off and on over the last few days and WHS sez the storage is balanced.

Am I out in left field again, or has something ran amock?

Thanks

Bob
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:09 PM

Answers

• I guess you will have roughly 480 GB on the 1TB, duplicated files will probably be on the D partition of the 500 GB system drive.

The Disk Management Add-in from Sam Wood provides a nice overview of storage space usage. The Duplication Info Add-in from Yotsuba shows on which disks the duplicate copies of individual files reside.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, December 25, 2009 1:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Millard Friday, December 25, 2009 3:01 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:51 PM

All replies

• I guess you will have roughly 480 GB on the 1TB, duplicated files will probably be on the D partition of the 500 GB system drive.

The Disk Management Add-in from Sam Wood provides a nice overview of storage space usage. The Duplication Info Add-in from Yotsuba shows on which disks the duplicate copies of individual files reside.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, December 25, 2009 1:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Millard Friday, December 25, 2009 3:01 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Brubber

I installed the Duplication Add-in and it shows the data as duplicated.

The Disk Management Add-in still shows the data on one drive.

I will give it awhile to straighten itself out.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Bob
    Friday, December 25, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Brubber

I installed the Duplication Add-in and it shows the data as duplicated.

The Disk Management Add-in still shows the data on one drive.

I will give it awhile to straighten itself out.

Thank you for your time and effort.

Bob
    What brubber is saying is that chances are there is data stored on your primary drive in addition to one of the secondary drives (leaving the other secondary drive empty).  How much space does the Disk Management add-in show for each of your 3 drives?  If you want, you can take a pic of the Disk Management add-in and post it here (or on an image website then link to it here).
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:06 AM
  • Kariya21

It seems to have fixed itself.

Disk 0 500G = 40%
    Disk 1 500G (C:) = 7%
    Disk 2 160G = 0%
    Disk 3 1TB = 70%

Thank you

Bob
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:22 AM