SiI 3114, not adding harddrives in WHS Srv Storage RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, i give up, i need some help here. It´s not usual, but i am running out of ideas, and after several evenings, after alot of readings in different forums and testing, i give up.

Short version of Problem:
    My Harddrives that are connected to the Silicon 3114 (x4) is shown in the WHS Srv Storage, but when added it keeps getting "Add hard drive failed".

What i want to do:
    Add my 3 500gb HD, to the WHS Srv Storage, using the SATA Controller.

Server/Computer Setup:
    mobo: 7vt600-p-rz (Gigabyte) (includes 2-SATA) (Lates BIOS installed)
    cpu: AMD750MHz; 512 RAM
    grafik: Radeon 9550
    nic: Realtek, Gigabit
    HD1: WD WD3200 (320Gb) (System) (PATA)
    HD2: Maxtor 250Gb (PATA)
    HD3: Seag 300Gb (PATA)
    HD4: Seag 300Gb (PATA)
    HD5: Seag 320Gb (mobo: SATA_0)
    (Yes, one mobo: SATA_1 free)

Also have: SiI 3114 - PCI to 4 Port SATA150

What i have been testing so far:
    I have been reading a lot in forums, and also tried about everything myself aswell.
    After finaly figured out, that the HD, needs to be formated as GPT, to even show up in the WHS, took a while.
    Now they all showing upp. Thats one problem solved. For a while there, i thought the disk was broken..but not, because they alwas showed up in the Disk Manager.

Anyway..i have tested each of the HD to just connect to the free SATA_1 on the mobo, and that is OK with each of theme, to both show up in the WHS Srv Storage, but also be added.
     That rules out HD error. (And that would be strange with 3 new ones...) (The Bug/problems thats comes by adding a harddrive to the WHS Srv Storage, and then removing it again, and then having it "connected" is a bit strange bug, from WHS, but never mind..its another story)

After a while i figured out that the new HD is properbly runs in 300, so i have jumped all of them, to 150, witch the SiI 3114 can use. This actually help, now the server is not "haning/slow" when booting, and all the drives shows up in the WHS.

I also tried disable the SATA controller on the mobo, (VIA) and then adding the HD, connected to the SiI 3114, with no luck. The SiI 3114 BIOS is also the latest with 5.4.0.3 and the "Link-driver" on the Server 2003; 1.3.11.0.

HD1-4 (PATA) Always work, in all configurations.
    HD5 (SATA_0) Also works in all configurations,

My only conclustion is that there must be somthing about the SiI 3114, that makes the HD connected to that, not being added in the WHS Srv Storage.

Its frustrated, but it seems like many people have got there 3114 to work, so should i! (Also tested the 3114, in other computers, and its working there)

All help is appricated...and needed !

/eNZo
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 11:43 PM

Answers

• I do see the option to enter bios, but won't let me in.  I believe the settings can be changed through software. 

If it doesn't indicate option to go into bios and don't see it detecting the drives, card is not being detected during the boot process.  In case you have the eSATA external connectors enabled, disable them, put the card the furthest from the video card, if you have one, then restart and see if you see the option to go into the card's bios and detects the drives.  I don't have a separate video card, but I remember placing the Sil 3114 card the furthest away from pcie slot.  I would go as far as pulling all other pci cards.  Ultimately, you may have a defective card.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:40 PM

All replies

• I recently added an Sil3114 card in my system and ran into some difficulty.  Have you already tried placing the card into another pci slot just in case there is an irq conflict with other card(s)?

In my case, system was hanging while trying to detect the drives or will eventually boot but will not recognize the drives.  I ended up hooking up a monitor to see what the problem was, to solve the problem.  My problem was due to IRQ conflict with another Sil ATA controller card in the system and problem was solved by moving the two away from each other.  System then booted right up, recognized the drives during the boot process and WHS recognized the card and downloaded the correct drivers through the windows update.

When I added another drive to the card some time later, it couldn't detect one or all drives during the boot process.  Either, pulling the card and putting it back in or pulling the cables and reattaching them to the card solved the issue, but not sure what actually was the problem.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Hello. Yes, i been reading forums, and noticed that that could be a problem. It just seems like the problem occurs when you got more than one HD Controller added. Anyway....i tested that to, even in the first PCI slot, 2, and 3 etc... but the card seems to work just fine with anyone of them. The problem is the same..that the HD thas connected to the Sil 3114 doesnt gets added in the WHS Srv Storage. Just keeps getting "Add hard drive failed".

More ideas? tips?

Thanks

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

Also, the 3114 has two versions of firmware, RAID and non-RAID. With the non-RAID, there should be no problems, but if you have the RAID firmware, then  it requires that you set the controller into "pass-through" mode, or you designate each disk as JBOD - individual disks - you should be able to do this in the BIOS of the card, or alternatively with the Silicon Image software.

Colin

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:38 PM
  • Yepp, know that, and my version, is 5.4.0.3, BASE.
    All drives is showing in Device Mang, and also in WHS Srv Storage, just not working adding.
    One thing i haven´t been able to do though, it to enter the SiI 3114 bios, during boot. I have tried CTRL+S, and some other letters..that some people says it is, but when the card boots, it says nothing about any combinationa, to enter bios.

IF there IS o BIOS you can enter, to alter settings, i would like to know how i enter that.

/eNZo
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I do see the option to enter bios, but won't let me in.  I believe the settings can be changed through software. 

If it doesn't indicate option to go into bios and don't see it detecting the drives, card is not being detected during the boot process.  In case you have the eSATA external connectors enabled, disable them, put the card the furthest from the video card, if you have one, then restart and see if you see the option to go into the card's bios and detects the drives.  I don't have a separate video card, but I remember placing the Sil 3114 card the furthest away from pcie slot.  I would go as far as pulling all other pci cards.  Ultimately, you may have a defective card.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:40 PM
  • I have a question about the Sil drivers version 1.3.11.0

My WHS has these drivers loaded and I can add drives to my 3114 (4.3.0.3 BASE). But I am trying to re-install the server (reasons on a different thread).
    I can't find any drivers on SII site for Windows 2003 server (card not supported) but I do know that it works with legacy drivers from Microsoft.
    The nearest drivers I can find from Sii are 1.3.10.0 and these are not acceptable to the add drivers page on the system re-install. Where can I find the inf file for the 1.3.11.0 drivers so I can put them on a floppy and have them available for the rebuild of my server. When I originally built the server I didn't add the Sata drives until after the system had been built and windows update provided the neccessary drivers (v 1.3.11.0)
    I can't take this approach again or my Sata drives will not be available for the re-install and therefore I will probably lose the data on them if I have to add them to the D drive at a later stage.

Thanks in advance for any help

Kev Reid
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 9:26 AM
  •  
    fwiw, I've used a cheap Rosewill PCI 4 port Sata controller card which used the Sil3114 chip (the chip must be atleast 4 years old now!).

Providing it's plugged in correctly you should have a BIOS screen for the add in card.  It'll state the controller and any drives connected to it.  In addition a hot key to enter the cards BIOS.

The card I have actually has six connectors, 2 external SATA & 4 internal SATA.  Only four are active at any one time.  You have to set jumpers to activate the connectors you want.  The inactive connectors won't acknowledge any hard drives connected.

I'm using the RAID5 drivers from Rosewill's website (my card is the RC-209ex, providing my memory works).  These were the only drivers that allowed WHS to recognize the card, the nonRAID drivers didn't work.  I was able to connect drives in non RAID configuration to the card without making any BIOS changes.

Hope this helps. 
    Thursday, December 4, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Wondering if anyone has figured this out. Just wasted a full weekend trying to get a 4 Port Sil3114 based card to connect a 750Gb ST3750840AS Seagate Drive to my AOpen AK77-9XN/AMD WHS.

I have updated the FW to the latest version and Raid Driver to 1.5.15.0 drive set to pass thru in all attempts. I can see the drive but get "Hard Drive initialization Failed" message when trying to add the pool and "The Format did not complete successfully" message when trying to format using Disk Management.
    I've also tried the Sata Link FW and Driver to no avail.

I've connected the card and drive to my main AMD Vista machine and was able to complete a format with no problem so I know the card and drive are working. Have also tried different PCI slots in my WHS with no success.

This seems like a driver issue but I'm not sure what to try next. I know people have been successful getting Si3114 based cards to work, so how are you guys that were having difficulties overcoming them?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:16 AM
  • Have you tried removing the raid drivers and installing the base drivers. WHS does its own form of Raid. I am using 1.3.10 without problem.

Good luck

Kev
    Monday, December 8, 2008 8:43 AM
  • Thanks for the info Kev. I assume that I need to flash the Base (IDE) Firmware to be bale to use the Base Drivers. From the Silicon image website it indicates that Version 1.3.10.0 of the Drivers should be used with BIOS:5.2.16

Can you confirm if this is the BIOS that you car currently running on your card.

Thanks again

Darren

• Edited by Sun Piper Monday, December 8, 2008 1:51 PM Typo
    Monday, December 8, 2008 1:50 PM
  • Yes until I flashed to the latest bios - I could not recognise drives bigger than 300gb.
    As soon as I flashed and used the latest base drivers I had no problerms getting every thing working.

Good Luck

Kev
    Monday, December 8, 2008 4:36 PM
  • Eventually got it working after trying 20 Firmware/Driver combinations, 2 SATA drives and moving the SiI3114 card to different slots.

Was reading on another forum about a guy the was having trouble with a SiI3114 and a Promise TX2 SATA PCI cards working in the same system I noticed that he listed the same DLink Gigabit Ethernet adaptor in his PC spec as I had. With nothing left to try I pull the NIC out of the machine and the drive added to the pool at the first time of asking.

I'm running the latest legacy RAID Firmware and Drivers with the SiI3114 configured in pass through mode. With the NIC in place the drive would always "fail to initialize" so I'm pretty sure the other Firmware/Driver combos would work too as they all had the same problem.

I'm now looking for Gigabit NIC recommendations! Thanks for all the help guys, was good to know that people were having success with the SiI3114. Would probably have given up before now otherwise.
    Friday, December 12, 2008 2:18 AM