none
server crashing with "cannot read file c:\fs........................" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all
    my server keeps crashing with "cannot read file c:\fs........................"  showing.
    The error shows on my server and the client pc then my server loacks up all lan activity dies.

server is a home buit machine with pp3 installed, I have tryed chkdsk but that also has not helped, it does some times indicate the file is related to a failed backup of my wifes laptop, the faild backup was deleted so dont see why it shows that as the problem.
    please can some one offer any pointers to solving this problem as its driving me mad.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 3:01 PM

Answers

• There is no database. The information will be rebuilt during the reinstallation process. And reinstallation is what you want to do; it's the only way to reintegrate the disks from your old server into your new server.

Take all the disks from your old server except your old (failing) system disk and connect them to your new server. Then try a server reinstallation. This is a special installation mode which will preserve the data in your shares (assuming you had duplication turned on for all shares, otherwise you may lose files whose only copy was stored on the failing disk), and will normally preserve your backup database (unless components were stored on the failing drive, in which case the database is likely to be unrecoverable). Read the FAQ I pointed out to you, follow the instructions, and get back to us if you don't get the option for server reinstallation (possibly called server recovery) in addition to new installation.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• This happens very quickly after i boot up the server the error message in full is.

Windows wa unable to save all the data for the file C:\fs\1E\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computerhardware or network connection. please try to save this file elsewhere.

I renamed the draw, the server recreated the draw and the problem for the new draw.

one problem is i have not tryed to save anything so cant work out what is generating the problem.
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 4:05 PM
  • This means, one of the DATA disks seems to have issues.
    Since the server crashes - is it a self built or an OEM machine?
    If self built, boot from a Vista DVD and run chkdsk /r against each single disk from the integrated system repair command prompt, or attach each DATA disk one by one to a client machine and run the command from here against the DATA volume until you can find (and eventually fix) the disk with the issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:11 PM
  • Ok Olaf many thanks ill give it a go .
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Olaf is there any way I can do this with in Home server, It would be great if I could scan more than 1 drive at a time to cut down on how long this would take.

Many Thanks for all the help

IAN (UK)
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 1:13 PM
  • Hi Ian,
    since the server according to your message crashes during startup or shortly after, it is difficult to perform any operations from within the running OS. You also didnt answer the question about what kind of home server it is, since with an OEM device you cannot boot from a Vista/Win7 DVD or try to boot in safe mode. (Although safe mode loads low performance drivers, which in many situations may also make the process much slower as it is already, which has been written by Ken in this FAQ.)
    Since you know that the problem is with a data disk you can exclude the system disk for the subsequent checking.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:41 PM
  • I Olaf, ok just an update due to mad life not had much time to sort this out but im on to it now,  I have fixed the crashing problem, I reinstalled WHS but still have the other errors im going to chkdsk all of my drives now lets hope i find what is wrong.

Many Thanks IAN. B
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Hi all

I have isolated the problem I belive its with my C drive not my data drive's.

I have a spare SATA 300gig witch is the same as my system drive on the server.

I have Installed WHS and all the Updates.

Is there a way I can copy the database holding all the Info on the data drives from my old HD to my NEW one saving all the work it takes to rebuild it ?

Hope some one can help

Many Thanks

IAN (UK)
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:44 PM
  • Ian, you will probably have to connect all your disks to your new server then perform a server reinstallation. This FAQ post has some sketchy instructions on this process.
    Friday, October 23, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Yea thats not what I want to do tryed that and due to the fact my system disk has errors on it, the processs did not fix the problem, what would be cool is to be able to inport the disks in to the new system.  It just sounds to me as if there should be a database poss sql db or something like that, witch is holding all the data for WHS console, that I can copy from the old to the new primary system disk, yes I would have to copy that disks DATA draw over.

any more help would be great THANKS

IAN
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:04 PM
  • There is no database. The information will be rebuilt during the reinstallation process. And reinstallation is what you want to do; it's the only way to reintegrate the disks from your old server into your new server.

Take all the disks from your old server except your old (failing) system disk and connect them to your new server. Then try a server reinstallation. This is a special installation mode which will preserve the data in your shares (assuming you had duplication turned on for all shares, otherwise you may lose files whose only copy was stored on the failing disk), and will normally preserve your backup database (unless components were stored on the failing drive, in which case the database is likely to be unrecoverable). Read the FAQ I pointed out to you, follow the instructions, and get back to us if you don't get the option for server reinstallation (possibly called server recovery) in addition to new installation.

Friday, October 23, 2009 5:34 PM
  • ok ken thanks, I understand now sorry I was confused before.

Many Thanks IAN
    Friday, October 23, 2009 6:16 PM
  • i did so.....

to get the reinstallation option i needed to install on the new disk (replacing the broken sys-disk) the server from scratch - old drives disconnected.

Then i got the reinstall option and installed the server, but the reintegration of the old shares and backups did not happen?!?!?

no error - nothing - just not integrated.

my only assumption is that i used a smaller replacement disk as i assumed the reinstall would do the job.

After several reinstalls i am now giving up to get reinstall reintegrate the stuff :-(. perhaps i will buy a bigger sys-disk-replacement and do a final test......

bad stuff - so far.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 10:41 AM
  • to get the reinstallation option i needed to install on the new disk (replacing the broken sys-disk) the server from scratch - old drives disconnected.

Per the FAQ linked above, you must have all of your data drives connected and visible to setup during recovery (possibly called reinstallation depending on the age of your media). Failure to do this will result in any drive not visible failing to reintegrate, and may result in an inability to even see the recovery option in setup.
    Saturday, August 21, 2010 2:52 PM
  • ok to be clear - the steps were:

try 1: after inserted new blank disk
    - start from DVD: no reinstall option showed up
    ==> STOPPED

try 2: just the new disk connected - smaller than the old one 1T instead of 1.5T
    - start from DVD: only new-install-option
    - new install
    - shutdown and connect of all other drives
    - reboot and start from DVD
    - two options available (new and reinstall)
    - continued with reinstall
    - setup fine but old drives not integrated
    ==> STOPPED

try 3: just the new disk connected - bigger than the old one 2T instead of 1.5T
    - start from DVD: only new-install-option
    - new install
    - shutdown and connect of all other drives
    - reboot and start from DVD
    - two options available (new and reinstall)
    - continued with reinstall
    - setup fine but old drives not integrated
    ==> STOPPED

in all cases the network card was not recognized during install.
    And when i try to access the shares i get an access denied error; which disappears after install of network drivers.
    So my current assumption is that the missing network card produces those results.

..... :-(

Saturday, August 21, 2010 11:32 PM
  • after the new install with one disk i attached all old drives for reinstall.

and reinstall formats the system drive. So i do not see how the setup (reinstall) should know that the other attached drives are from what ever specific other install.

They should be just there and based on the qsm-ids on the drives reintegrated in the filesystem of the fresh new sys-disk which has been formatted during the first step of the reinstall.

?!?!? - i do not get it what the HS developers had done that this simply does not work.
    Hm or perhaps i am simply dumb and to not get this all at all.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 12:00 AM
  • What has happened: When you did the new installation, you created a brand new server with a brand new storage pool. The only disk in that pool was the brand new D: drive. When you connected the disks from your old installation and did a reinstallation, Windows Home Server looked first to that D: partition to find out what disks it knew about. The only disk it knew about was itself, so that was the only disk "reintegrated" with the reinstallation. (Other disks are left alone in a reinstallation.)

You can try removing the partitions from the disk you want to use as your new system disk, then doing another reinstallation. If you don't get the reinstallation option, see this FAQ.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:15 AM
  • I have read the reinstallation option information a lot :-)

However the only way i found - with a totally broken system disk - to get the reinstallation option is with a system on the one attached disk.

If i started the DVD-boot with only one disk attached which was unformatted i never got the reinstallation option.
    Nor did i get the reinstallation option with all old disks attached and the one new unformatted disk.

The only way - based on the articles here and my experience - was to install something on the new disk and then reboot from DVD and then go for reinstall.
    However i wonder how this works what you described if the install first formats the new systemdisk and then starts the install from scratch.

No matter - for this time i did now a fresh install and am copying the files over from the old disks to the new system.
    The only thing was that i had to add a new data-drive because the old ones were quite full. But i wanted to do this in either case - so no issue.

The only open question now for me is : how do i get reinstall after the following steps:
    - system working fine
    - shutdown
    - boot: system disk totally blown away - nothing happens
    - turn of system
    - old system disk removed and the new disk attached at the same place
    - boot from DVD
    - at the install options ReInstall is available <== how can i ensure this with all other old drives attached?????

This did not work for me this time. What next time? the only open question now ;-)

thx - Alex

Sunday, August 22, 2010 9:22 AM