Question about 6/8 time (Migrated from community.research.microsoft.com) RRS feed

• Question

• kingrobber posted on 05-29-2009 3:25 PM

I am planning on purchasing the extra song paks available because the ones included do not have the option for 6/8 time signature. I'm not sure if the new paks do or not. Does anyone know if it is possible to change a song style in songsmith to make it do 6/8 time or if the new PAKs have that included. I asked PG music, but they told me to ask microsoft.

Also, I posted this question under the musicians area...that post can be deleted.

Thanks for any info.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:23 PM

Answers

• kingrobber replied on 06-08-2009 7:17 AM

Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I tried the 3/4 times, but they wouldn't work because of the difference between the accented beats in 3/4 vs. 6/8 . I'll try out some of the others you mentioned this week and let you know if I get something that works well.

Thanks

All replies

• kingrobber replied on 06-04-2009 7:30 AM

I purchased the song paks, but none of them have 6/8 time. Does anybody know a way I can change the time signature of a songsmith song so this can be accomplished, or can someone create a 6/8 songsmith song?

• dmorris replied on 06-05-2009 12:43 PM

The styles that ship with Songsmith include two styles in 3/4 time (which is really the same as 6/8 since you can change both the tempo and the number of chord changes per bar).  Those styles are the "Piano Pop in 3/4" and "Country Ballad in 3/4" styles.

I also highlight many songs that some folks would call "6/8", Songsmith (and me :) ) would call "4/4 with swing".  So look at the "Reggae" and "50's Rock" styles.  Many folks would call the "50's Rock" style in particular a 6/8 style, especially at low tempos.

I'm pretty sure that using one of those approaches - using the 3/4 styles and using the swung 4/4 styles - you'll be able to get the feel you want, and I'd look for the same features in the style paks.

Hope that helps!

-Dan

• kingrobber replied on 06-08-2009 7:17 AM

Dan,

Thanks for the advice. I tried the 3/4 times, but they wouldn't work because of the difference between the accented beats in 3/4 vs. 6/8 . I'll try out some of the others you mentioned this week and let you know if I get something that works well.

Thanks