none
Maximum Number of Simultaneous VPN Connections? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a customer interested in using a WHS box as a VPN server. I plan to set it up using the "Incoming Connections" option under Network Connections in the Control Panel. Does anyone know how many simultaneous VPN connections WHS will support? I know that I can allocate as many IP addresses as I want during the setup, but is there a limit to the number of concurrent connections that WHS will support? Thanks
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 10:32 PM

All replies

• Sell him either a dedicated VPN appliance (my preference), or Windows Server 2008 R2. Using Windows Home Server this way is a violation of the EULA, and you're likely to run into domain and other issues.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 7, 2011 1:16 AM
  • Please pardon my ignorance as I deal mostly with home users and home software, so I'm not too familiar with other Windows Server products and the concept of server roles. Is there a list of server roles for the Server 2003 family, (in particular, one showing what is permitted to be used under the WHS license)? VPN can be configured in WHS without installing anything that is not installed by the WHS setup process. I had always assumed that since the "Incoming connections" feature was available on the Network Connections Control Panel, that it was allowed by the EULA. It's just using a feature which was installed by the OS setup - not even going to Add/Remove Programs to turn on disabled features. Thanks
    Friday, January 7, 2011 10:47 PM
  • The Remote Access/VPN server role isn't enabled "out of the box", Woody. Just because the components are present doesn't mean Microsoft has enabled that role, I'm afraid.

Assuming this is for business use, I would go with either a router that offers a VPN client capability built in (many business class routers have this capability, at least as an option) or with a dedicated VPN appliance. The latter is more expensive, but probably more robust and possibly easier to set up.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 1:35 AM
  • I have WHS 2011 and found the setting here. I set mine to 10. 

whs multilink connection settings

Friday, June 21, 2013 2:13 AM