CRM 3.0 SBS installation error on SBS 2003 R2 Premium server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

By CRM 3.0 installation I can not start installation - in the "System Requirments" I receive error:

Failed to locate the Web Application configuration file. Verify the file specified in registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Reporting Services[WAConfigFilePath]

and I can not start the installation. Can anybody help me, what can I do ?

Regards

Jaro

Thursday, January 17, 2008 9:58 PM

Answers

• There is no need to install SQL Standard separately.

Small Business Server 2003 comes in two editions, Standard (not workgroup) and Premium. Only Premium edition includes SQL Server. The original release of SBS 2003 Premium included SQL 2000 Standard.

The R2 release of SBS 2003 includes SQL 2005 Workgroup edition. This is the one that causes issues with CRM. 

The original CRM 3.0 media will not install on SQL 2005 Workgroup edition. However, as one of the other answerers points out updated installation software has been released to address this issue. So CRM 3.0 and SBS 2003 R2 Premium with SQL 2005 Workgroup edition do work together.

With regard to installing Reporting Services- CRM 3.0 only installs SQL 2000 reporting services so you must not let CRM 3.0 install reporting services if you are using SQL 2005.  You should install Reporting Services before installing CRM 3.0.

CRM 4.0 has different requirements - it will not work with SQL 2000 (so SQL 2005 or later must be used) and it never installs Reporting services (you have to do this in advance).

I hope this clears up some of the confusions.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:48 AM

All replies

•  

This seems to suggest that there is a problem with SQL Reporting Services.

Do you have SQL Reporting Services installed already or are you letting the CRM installation install it?

Also, can you confirm whether you are using SQL Server 2005 or 2000 and what edition (i.e. Standard or Workgroup)?

Friday, January 18, 2008 8:12 AM
  • The SQL Reporting Services I have installed already - the customer have SBS 2003 server - Premium. First was SQL 2000. After the SP1 is SQL2005 (Workgroup) and I reinstall the RSS.

Now is SQL 2005 Standard. This is in the SBS 2003 R2 Premium.

Regards

Jaro

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:02 AM
  •  

Indeed SBS R2 gives you SQL 2005. It is in fact Workgroup edition and not Standard edition - unless you've acquired Standard edition from another source.

Your error message suggest that some element of SQL 2000 is still on the server as the 8.0 refers to SQL 2000. It may be in IIS as a left over web-site.

Furthermore, there are issues using SQL 2005 Workgroup edition with CRM. See these articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935922/en-us

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=46D1887A-DDCD-4ACB-829F-688618D91F1B&displaylang=en

Friday, January 18, 2008 10:16 AM
  • Hello,

Many thanks for the aswer - I try use this links.
    One info - I was read in the CRM forum, that SQL 2005 Worgroup Edition is not problem with CRM 3.0 - only is necessary use the latest installation files - I download this - the original CD give error, that is necessary use SQL 2005 Standard.

Second - I use already the steps from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=46D1887A-DDCD-4ACB-829F-688618D91F1B&displaylang=en
    but I receive the same error :-(

Now I wait for the Hotfix - after this I try use this

Many thanks

Friday, January 18, 2008 12:15 PM
  • Hi

Yesterday I try HotFix and after this again I try install CRM - but installation stop in the same point - with the same error - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Reporting Services[WAConfigFilePath]

In the meantime I try search any next information - all information is about the RSS , Is any possibility complet uninstall old RSS - from SQL 2000 and clear installation of SQL 2005 RSS ?

Have you please any experience with this ?

Thanks

Jaro

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:49 AM
  • For one of my client with same thing

The biggest stumbling block I got was getting SRS up and running. The SBS setup just refused to install SRS at all and running it direct from the MSI file yielded inconsistent results. I keptgetting the following error during the final setup check:

Failed to locate the Web Application configuration file. Verify the file specified in registry value
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
    Server\80\Reporting Services[WAConfigFilePath]

Of course this key didn't exist because Report Manager had repeatedly failed to install but did not once give me an error. Once I managed to get Report Manager installed, the installation went along just fine and it seems to have completed succesfully. I will be returning to site tomorrow and will get people in to check everything is there, but it certainly looks as though the process has worked.

Do with report manager first.

Regards,

Imran

http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:24 AM
  • Hi,

This path I have not "Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Reporting Services"   . The subdirectory "Reporting Services" I have on another place - "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Reporting Services\"  - but file WAConfigFilePath I have not.

I understand not exactly what you mean - is necessary reinstall the Report Manager ? As I said before, I think, that this registry key is from old SQL 2000 SRS, because tis is 8.0 version ! But how can I repair this key - this situation ?

Thanks

Jaro

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:56 AM
  • Dear Jaro..

yes do the report manager re install and check it.

As I told you , the same error with one of my client and I got fix after doing this.

Regards,

Imran

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 10:20 AM
  • Hi Imran,

I try reinstall the SRS - but with the same result. Have you found please any other solution ?

Thanks

Jaro

Sunday, February 3, 2008 10:44 AM
  •  

Not sure if you got the problem resolved?!

The first problem is that when you installed SBS, it comes with Workgroup Edition. This is not supported by CRM, and even though one would think that the SBS of CRM can get installed on the Premium Edition of SBS, one is wrong, because it doesn't run on anything less than at least SQL Standard.

You may ask the question: Why do they create Windows Server 2003 SBS and CRM 3.0 for SBS and they can't run together without installing additional software...

Fix:

Uninstall the SQL Standard that you installed. Enter this path (if using defaults): C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn and delete any and all files that refers to Reporting or Reporting Server - there should be about 4 files to swipe.

Reinstall SQL, and this time DO NOT select to install Reporting Services. When you install CRM it will create it's own Reporting Services, and after that, you should be all set Smile

Saturday, May 3, 2008 11:58 PM
  • There is no need to install SQL Standard separately.

Small Business Server 2003 comes in two editions, Standard (not workgroup) and Premium. Only Premium edition includes SQL Server. The original release of SBS 2003 Premium included SQL 2000 Standard.

The R2 release of SBS 2003 includes SQL 2005 Workgroup edition. This is the one that causes issues with CRM. 

The original CRM 3.0 media will not install on SQL 2005 Workgroup edition. However, as one of the other answerers points out updated installation software has been released to address this issue. So CRM 3.0 and SBS 2003 R2 Premium with SQL 2005 Workgroup edition do work together.

With regard to installing Reporting Services- CRM 3.0 only installs SQL 2000 reporting services so you must not let CRM 3.0 install reporting services if you are using SQL 2005.  You should install Reporting Services before installing CRM 3.0.

CRM 4.0 has different requirements - it will not work with SQL 2000 (so SQL 2005 or later must be used) and it never installs Reporting services (you have to do this in advance).

I hope this clears up some of the confusions.

Sunday, May 4, 2008 7:48 AM