can't ping my laptop on the network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

it maybe a newbie question, but here goes.

I have a Wifi network with a desktop (the "hub") and a couple laptops connected to it. Onecare is installed in the desktop. Sometimes I bring my work laptop and am able to use the WiFi internet connection of my network. However, I am never able to ping my work laptop IP address from the hub PC and be able to share files. What am I doing wrong? Is it because OneCare is not installed in my work PC? In that case, is it possible to add my work laptop IP address as exception in the firewall settings (like in any other firewall software?). Thanks!

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 12:05 AM

Answers

• In OneCare, make sure that the network is identified as Home or Work and not Public (v2.0 of OneCare). Make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled on the desktop PC in the advanced settings for the OneCare firewall. And in Ports and protocols, place a check mark next to ICMP Outbound and ICMPv4 Inbound if you want to be able to ping.

The laptop will also need File and printer sharing enabled and allowed through whatever firewall is on it.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:41 AM

All replies

• In OneCare, make sure that the network is identified as Home or Work and not Public (v2.0 of OneCare). Make sure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled on the desktop PC in the advanced settings for the OneCare firewall. And in Ports and protocols, place a check mark next to ICMP Outbound and ICMPv4 Inbound if you want to be able to ping.

The laptop will also need File and printer sharing enabled and allowed through whatever firewall is on it.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:41 AM
  • This works like a charm. Thanks!

Just curious: what is ICMPv6 Inbound for (compared to ICMPv4)?

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:59 AM
  • It's for IP6, which you're probably not using - yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICMPv6

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 2:33 AM