Error ID 0020-80070643 RRS feed

• Question

• Help!
    I am trying to remove a spyware infection. I am getting popup message that says "Your computer is infected! Windows has detected spyware infection! ..." Friends guided me to install Live OneCare. Whenever I try to install Live OneCare, the installation fails getting a message or "Error id 0020-80070643....says one or more components did not install properly.."
    Then I followed guidelines for fixing this error. Since I could not find 'Windows Defender listed under the programs list, I copied commands, paste them into the Run box, and clicked OK as directed. A message pops up with Windows Installer at the top - saying "This action is only valid for products that are currently stalled'.

Another friend sent me the following direction: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930162
    I installed Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and did everything as directed.
    And yet the problem still persists i.e. whenever I tried to renstall Live One Care same error message pops up.

I thought I did everything required to solve this problem. I do apreciate further guidance. I have Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2.

Gabe
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:28 PM

Answers