CRM Workflows gone after upgrade. RRS feed

• Question

• Quite a few months ago we upgraded from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011. I used one of the Microsoft websites that was in detail of how to Migrate from 4.0 to 2011. After it was done it appeared that everything was working but I never did check workflows at that time. This was before rollup 2 and we were having major issues trying to use CRM for Outlook because all of our users were using Outlook 2010 x64 and the client was not working correctly. Since then we have upgraded to the most current rollup and I was able to get the client to work with our staffs outlook. I'm guessing that everyone that used CRM chalked the workflows up to it not working with Outlook, but once they could start using it like they used to, they started saying that notifications and other events were not working. Upon looking atthe Process Center in Settings I noticed that there was nothing in there. Luckily I still have the old server running as a virtual and I thought I would go back to get the old workflows and see about how to migrate them, but as I logged on to the old system and I tried to browse to the web interface I got "Invalid User Authorization. The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid."<o:p></o:p>

So basically I need to try and get the old workflow information from old server as this took over a month to create the first time. Then convert it over to the CRM 2011 format so I will work correctly for all users. If there is a way to strip out the workflow data without afting to log into the web interface on old server would be helpfull as well.

• Edited by Titan779 Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:10 AM
    Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:07 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, there is no easy way to copy just the workflows from your CRM 4.0 system to your new CRM 2011 system.

One option might be to upgrade your old CRM 4.0 database again to CRM 2011. Then add the upgraded workflows to a managed solution. Export this solution and then import it into your production CRM 2011 system.

It's unusual for workflows not to get upgraded, but I guess it's going to be impossible to diagnose what went wrong since you probably don't have the log files from the upgrade and didn't perform any system testing on the upgraded system before adopting it.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:56 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, there is no easy way to copy just the workflows from your CRM 4.0 system to your new CRM 2011 system.

One option might be to upgrade your old CRM 4.0 database again to CRM 2011. Then add the upgraded workflows to a managed solution. Export this solution and then import it into your production CRM 2011 system.

It's unusual for workflows not to get upgraded, but I guess it's going to be impossible to diagnose what went wrong since you probably don't have the log files from the upgrade and didn't perform any system testing on the upgraded system before adopting it.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Saturday, February 11, 2012 2:56 PM
  • I can create a new virtual test server to accomplish this. Only thing is I can't log into the old web interface of the old 4.0. Like I said before I get "Invalid User Authorization. The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid." When I try I read a few forums that had me change the service log on type and made sure I was part of the correct groups in active directory for crm. Which really haven't changed since we did this upgrade originally. Any other thoughts why this would happen and how I can get it to work so I can review the old workflows before starting this DB upgrade in the test environment?<o:p></o:p>

Monday, February 13, 2012 11:35 PM
  • One thing to check is that the CRM Async Service is running. This service generates tokens that CRM users for authentication.

Otherwise, how did you do the upgrade ? Did you use a new CRM Server and SQL Server instance, or keep the old ones ? If you kept the old ones, then the old environment will not be intact.

If you have (or can get hold of) the CRM 4 installation files, then the easiest option may be to do a clean install of CRM 4, then import the MSCRM organization database

Microsoft CRM MVP - http://mscrmuk.blogspot.com  http://www.excitation.co.uk

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:10 AM