none
UI/UX for Project Server and CAL vs. Project Professional RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have used Project Professional in the past and our company is upgrading to a Project Server implementation.  I have been told two different things by two different MS Sales Reps.  I am trying to determine the following:

(1) Are the CAL and Project Professional identical in terms of feature set?  I have been told yes and no by two different MS reps.

(2) What is the user interface / experience for the CAL as opposed to Project Professional?  I have been told that when using the CAL with Project Server you use your browser to access Project.  However, I have not been able to determine what that UI/UX is like.  Is it like Project Online?

(3) Can you use Project Professional with Project Server?  I have been told yes and no by two different MS reps.

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 5:05 PM

Answers

• HurrFrost --

Wow, you are getting bum advice from multiple sources.  Allow me to answer your questions:

(1) The web-based user interface for Project Server is known as Project Web App, abbreviated PWA.  In PWA, the Project Center page displays the list of all projects to which you have access, based on your security permissions.  From the Project Center page, you can create and manage projects.  Using the Project Center page IS NOT the same as using the Microsoft Project desktop to manage your projects.

(2)  In my personal opinion, attempting to use the web-based Project Center user interface to manage projects in PWA is a huge waste of time and will lead you to untold frustration.  The web-based user interface offers you about 10% of the functionality you will find in Microsoft Project.  The PWA interface offers you only "bare bones" functionality, and only offers you the simplest options for managing your projects.

(3)  Yes, you can absolutely use the Microsoft Project Professional software with Project Server.  Once your organization has your Project Server system configured and ready to use, you will create a Login account in your Microsoft Project software that tells the software where to find Project Server.  After configuring the Login account, you will be able to launch Microsoft Project and connect the software to Project Server.  From there you will be able to create and manage enterprise projects that are stored in the Project Server database.

Hope these definitive answers help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by HurrFrost Wednesday, October 14, 2020 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2020 5:59 PM

All replies

• HurrFrost --

Wow, you are getting bum advice from multiple sources.  Allow me to answer your questions:

(1) The web-based user interface for Project Server is known as Project Web App, abbreviated PWA.  In PWA, the Project Center page displays the list of all projects to which you have access, based on your security permissions.  From the Project Center page, you can create and manage projects.  Using the Project Center page IS NOT the same as using the Microsoft Project desktop to manage your projects.

(2)  In my personal opinion, attempting to use the web-based Project Center user interface to manage projects in PWA is a huge waste of time and will lead you to untold frustration.  The web-based user interface offers you about 10% of the functionality you will find in Microsoft Project.  The PWA interface offers you only "bare bones" functionality, and only offers you the simplest options for managing your projects.

(3)  Yes, you can absolutely use the Microsoft Project Professional software with Project Server.  Once your organization has your Project Server system configured and ready to use, you will create a Login account in your Microsoft Project software that tells the software where to find Project Server.  After configuring the Login account, you will be able to launch Microsoft Project and connect the software to Project Server.  From there you will be able to create and manage enterprise projects that are stored in the Project Server database.

Hope these definitive answers help.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by HurrFrost Wednesday, October 14, 2020 6:37 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2020 5:59 PM
  • Dale,

Thank you very much for your clear answers.  I appreciate the help!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 6:37 PM
  • You are more than welcome for the help, my friend.  If you are looking for a Project Partner company to assist you with your Project Server implementation, I would kindly ask you to consider my company, Projility.  I think you can tell from my reply that we known the Microsoft PPM tools "inside and out" and know how to communicate clearly with our clients.  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, October 14, 2020 6:49 PM