two users working in same file RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems when more than one user wants to make changes to the same file/document. It is creating another document when I would prefer it to just deny access or have read only access to the second user who is trying to access the same file. Any ways around this?
    Friday, March 4, 2011 5:12 AM

Answers

• If you have shared a folder with another user and granted full rights, no, there is no way around this. The new copy is created since the file has changed on both computers sharing the same folder. You could set the permissions of the sharing to allow read only access, but then the other user could never update the file. There is no lock since the file is local on each PC and the contents are synchronized between computers in the Mesh.

Note that if you are referring to Windows Live Mesh, not Live Mesh - www.mesh.com, you are in the wrong forum. Yes, the naming convention is confusing, though I like that they kept the Mesh name alive for the upgrade to Live Sync (formerly FolderShare).

For discussion of the new Windows Live Mesh (formerly Sync), (as well as the released Live Sync version) go here:

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=24

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, March 7, 2011 1:29 PM