importing translations fails of RibbonCustomization entity rows RRS feed

• Question

• Importing translations failed. Error Details: Invalid Argument. Tab Name:Localized Labels. Excel Row:nnn is the error in the popup, no logs to download. Any row of Entity name "RibbonCustomization" in the import file causes this error. Removing all of those rows, the import works fine. Again: the process works fine if I remove the offending rows, indicating that this is not an issue with how I have prepared the zip file of the 2 files involved in a translation export/import.

Background: In a customized installation of CRM 2011 (RU's applied), base language English, French language pack installed. From normal settings -> customizations -> customize the system, export translations. The resulting CrmTranslation.xml contains rows in the Labels tab that are for RibbonCustomization and thus are not yet translated in the 1036 (French/France) column. If you add translations (well under 500 characters in length) and save, build the zip containing the 2 files (.e. [Content_Types].xml and CrmTranslations.xml (the file you update)), and then import translations an error occurs on the 1st row that is an Entity name of RibbonCustomization. If I remove all the rows that are of that Entity name the import works fine. If I create a file with only one of those RibbonCustomization rows in the Labels tab I get the same error. I can not find a reference about translating the ribbon customization labels (the new buttons), looking for something that might indicate the issue.

Note: the error displayed in a modal popup does not have an option to look at log (no buttons or options). All you get is this error information: Importing translations failed. Error Details: Invalid Argument  Tab Name:Localized Labels. Excel Row Number:939  (939 is just an example, this is the 1st row of Entity name "RibbonCustomization".)

<input id="cfbe32cf-962a-4628-8663-b689839fa800_attachments" type="hidden" />
    Monday, August 22, 2011 1:50 PM

All replies

• I have seen the errors too. I worked arount the issue by removing the rows as you did, and added the translations in the customization.xml.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 1:57 PM
  • I am also unable to import translations for ribbon customizations. So I tried using the customizations.xml as follows:

<LocLabels>
     <LocLabel Id="Gonz.incident.MyButton.ToolTip">
      <Titles>
       <Title languagecode="1033" description="English Label"/>
       <Title languagecode="1036" description="French Label"/>
      </Titles>
     </LocLabel>
    </LocLabels>

However, after publishing the customizations, the users in french will not see the French label in the ribbon button. Is that the correct syntax I should be using? What else could be going wrong? 

Gonzalo | gonzaloruizcrm.blogspot.com

Friday, August 26, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Try LabelText instead of Tooltip.

Even better, check in the Button definition the string behind "LabelText="$LocLabels:"

<LocLabels>
    <LocLabel Id="Gonz.incident.MyButton.LabelText">
      <Titles>
       <Title languagecode="1033" description="English Label" />
       <Title languagecode="1036" description="French Label" />
      </Titles>
    </LocLabel>
    </LocLabels>

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Has anyone got an answer for this problem? I still get
    the exact same error with RU7. Of course I can translate the ribbons in the
    xml-Solution File. But its kind a messy workaround, if there should be the
    Excel-xml import/export feature. <o:p></o:p>

Maybe someone know a good third-party tool, which can
    handle this? Thanks for ANY infos!<o:p></o:p>

Simon Tauscheck

Friday, June 1, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

I have got the same problem :

When I investigated, I have seen that there a difference of format between the file CrmTranslation.xml when it is unzipped and the same file after modification with Excel 2010 in my machine. All styles changes and Excel adds many XML tags that is not existing in the original file. 

So, the solution is to try to open it in another computer with with Excel 2010 or any other version of excel an after that make the export.

It's strange, Because it's Microsoft :) 

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 5:33 PM
  • hello,

what do you mean " try to open it in another computer with with Excel 2010 or any other version of excel an after that make the export."?? Because i had the same prolbem and i didn't find solution yet.

Friday, May 19, 2017 6:41 AM