WHS Disconnects from Network - how best to troubleshoot? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following hardware for my WHS:

Antec NSK1380 Black/Silver MATX Cube Case - With 350W Series 80 PSU
    2 x WD Caviar Green Power WD5000AACS - hard drive - 500 GB - SATA-300
    AMD Sempron LE-1150 SKT AM2 2 GHz L2 256 KB Energy Efficient 45w
    Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2 690V Socket AM2 mATX Motherboard (4 SATA, Gigabit Ethernet)

The onboard NIC is a Realtek RTL 8169 / 8110
    Crucial 1GB kit (512MBx2) DDR2 PC2-5300 memory

Netgear DG834GT Router

WHS works great except that overnight it disconnects itself from the router and I have to re-start WHS again, to get it to reconnect. I don't know if WHS is hanging or just disconnecting. Its not backing up overnight, just balancing storage, so this is not related to data transfer. I have the Power Options set to "Server Balanced Power and Performance" which allows the AMD CoolNQuiet to lower the CPU speed when idle.

Any suggestions how I might troubleshoot this problem would be gratefully received.

Monday, February 18, 2008 9:47 PM

Answers

• Please check in Device Manager of WHS the power options of the network card.
    On Powersave Settings tab disable the function "The computer can disable this device to save power".
    This could help you with that overnight disconnection.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 6, 2008 8:20 PM

All replies

• Should I consider a better NIC? If so, what models / drivers  work well with WHS?

Friday, February 22, 2008 2:08 PM
  • Hi Andy

First step, hook up a console and leave it logged-on.  When it next happens, try this:

1. Check the network light is on

2. Ping the server from another machine (start, run, ping servname)

3. See if you can move the mouse on the server, navigate around the console etc

Assuming the machine is actually running, try a different network lead and a different port on your switch.

If it's locked, take the lid of and see if anything is hot in there.  Might be worth installing zCPU to have a look at your CPU temperatures.  Possibly the heatsink is not clipped on firmly.

If you have two RAM modules in there, I would also suggest removing one.  And then the following day, swapping them over.  You can also download an excellent RAM tester from microsoft's website.

Hope that helps.

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Hi, I notice you have the same motherboard and cpu as me. I cant get the Lan driver to install from the cd. Have you installed a different one?
    Monday, October 6, 2008 1:48 PM
  • Please check in Device Manager of WHS the power options of the network card.
    On Powersave Settings tab disable the function "The computer can disable this device to save power".
    This could help you with that overnight disconnection.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, October 6, 2008 8:20 PM
  • Hi Olaf!

Greetings to Germany.  When you say "device manager" of WHS, how do I navigate there in WHS?  Can't find it.

Danke.

Markus

Friday, February 7, 2014 6:00 PM