Educate Me - Add A HD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Last rant (I promise). I installed WHS2011 on a 1TB HD. After backing up 3 or 4 computers, I received a warning that HD space was limited. No problem, I thought. I added a 2TB HD (using the approved procedure to add a HD) and thought everything was OK. Nope, still received the limited space warning. Turns out that adding a HD does not mean that the new HD will be used for backups. No problem, I thought. I will just move the backup folder to the new HD and problem solved. Nope, moving the folder to the new HD prompted a warning that needed folders were missing ( and that resulted in no backups being performed at all). No problem, I thought. I'll just recreate the missing folders. OK, now I can backup again -- but not to the 2TB HD! Backups go to the 1TB HD again and the 2TB space is wasted. (Plus the previous backups that were moved to the 2TB HD are no longer listed and the status of the computers says 'Unknown'.

So....educate me! How does one add space for additional backups? (I know, old backups will be automatically deleted to make room, so there is no problem. But if you run out of room after backing up 3 computers (1 backup each) and you have 10 more computers to back up, there is nothing to delete to make room!) Is the solution to start with a Gigantibyte HD so that you never have to worry? Does WHS 2011 even support GPT formatted disks and Gigantibyte HD's?

Thanks!

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:34 PM

Answers

• Well that is odd!! With regard to your statement " As far as I can tell, you can set the server backup to any attached drive that you want. You do that without moving any folders. As far as the clients, however, apparently they must back up to the folder installed during setup (wherever that is)." - that's not correct. Most of my shared folders are on D: (where they were originally created) but the Client Computer Backups folder is on E:, where I moved it to. I have this on both of my two WHS2011 servers.

So, while I do not believe that moving the folder to a new drive is an inherent problem with WHS2011, I have no idea why it's not working for you when it claims to have completed successfully!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, January 12, 2015 9:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Monday, January 12, 2015 9:37 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

I also twice relocated the client backups on my WHS 2011 without any problems.

If you open registry editor on the server, do the values

DatabaseName in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Backup

ClientBackupsPath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\StorageService

point to the proper drive/folder?

A third reference to the client backups folder I found on my server under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Media Streaming\Folders in value {a82b573d-3a97-4e43-a405-67d9e81a34ba}, not sure, if this plays also a role for the backups themselves.

If one of these still points to the location from before the move try to change the drive letter in the registry and reboot after.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Monday, December 15, 2014 2:42 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, January 12, 2015 9:27 AM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Just to conform what Phil has said, it should simply work and does for me. I moved the client backup folders from D:\ to P:\ (a DrivePool virtual drive consisting of E:\ and F:\) using the dashboard without issue. I would start looking at Event Viewer and log files.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:52 AM

All replies

• You do not say how you moved the Client Backup folder to the new disk - if you use the Dashboard there should not be a problem.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Proposed as answer by DScruton Friday, November 20, 2015 9:37 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 2:33 AM
  • Hi! Phil,

Thanks for your interest. I moved the Client Backup folder using Dashboard. I received a message saying that the folder was moved successfully (from D:\ to E:\). The next time I ran a client backup, it failed. When I checked Server Folders in Dashboard, there was a note saying required folders (on D:\) were missing. I checked and Client Backup folder was on E:\, where it had been moved. I clicked on recreate folders and the Client Backup folder was recreated (on D:\). I then ran a backup, which completed successfully. When I checked, the backup was in the folder on D:\, not E:\.

I have attached screen shots showing the folder being moved and the subsequent note saying required folders were missing. (There are three (3) screen shots, but I can only update two per post. So I will start a new post to update the third screen shot.) As far as I can tell, you can set the server backup to any attached drive that you want. You do that without moving any folders. As far as the clients, however, apparently they must back up to the folder installed during setup (wherever that is).

Hope this helps.

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:34 PM
  • Well that is odd!! With regard to your statement " As far as I can tell, you can set the server backup to any attached drive that you want. You do that without moving any folders. As far as the clients, however, apparently they must back up to the folder installed during setup (wherever that is)." - that's not correct. Most of my shared folders are on D: (where they were originally created) but the Client Computer Backups folder is on E:, where I moved it to. I have this on both of my two WHS2011 servers.

So, while I do not believe that moving the folder to a new drive is an inherent problem with WHS2011, I have no idea why it's not working for you when it claims to have completed successfully!

• Proposed as answer by Justin Gu Monday, January 12, 2015 9:28 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 9:02 PM
  • Hi! Phil,

I don't know why either, but this is the second WHS2011 server that it has worked like this. I am going to start over and install WHS2011 on a 2TB drive. The 1TB drive will be erased, added to the server via Dashboard and be used for server backups. The 2TB drive can handle all the client backups and the "problem" will be solved. (NOTE: This is the second time I have had to start over like this. Should have learned the first time. Just thought I was ignorant and someone with greater knowledge would set me straight.)

Thanks for your interest and taking the time to post replies. Hope your December is a happy one!

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Saturday, December 6, 2014 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

I also twice relocated the client backups on my WHS 2011 without any problems.

If you open registry editor on the server, do the values

DatabaseName in the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Backup

ClientBackupsPath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\StorageService

point to the proper drive/folder?

A third reference to the client backups folder I found on my server under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Media Streaming\Folders in value {a82b573d-3a97-4e43-a405-67d9e81a34ba}, not sure, if this plays also a role for the backups themselves.

If one of these still points to the location from before the move try to change the drive letter in the registry and reboot after.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Edited by Olaf Engelke Monday, December 15, 2014 2:42 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2014 2:36 PM
  • Just to conform what Phil has said, it should simply work and does for me. I moved the client backup folders from D:\ to P:\ (a DrivePool virtual drive consisting of E:\ and F:\) using the dashboard without issue. I would start looking at Event Viewer and log files.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:52 AM