issues with changing crm organization name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can anyone explain the PROs and CONs of changing organization name in CRM 4.0. I really appreciate your help.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

the only way to changed it in a by Microsoft supported manner, is to redeploy the organization. Technically it will also work, by changing the values in the organization and config databases, as the unique name is used at multiple locations (for example the root business unit, ...)

btw.: crm is a valid organization name.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Bittu,

First I hope this requirement is very rare to change organization name after installation,so I am not sure many others have faced this. so I will suggest you to test it yourself, you can use MS CRM VPC and do the same and can come with Pros and Cons of changing organization name.

Also I don't think you will get some issue untill you have not hardcoded organization name somewhere.

Hope it will help you !!!

Mahain
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:35 AM
  • Thanks Mahender, I'll try the same. Is it possible to keep crm as organization name ?

Anyways if anyone has tried already kindly share your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:31 PM
  • Hi,

Is it possible to keep 'crm' AS ORGANIZATION NAME. Kindly let me know.Its important.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:31 AM
  • You are not able to rename an organization. The only thing you can change is the display name of it. The unique name of the organization is not changeable after the installation. The only way to "rename" the org in a supported manner is to redeploy the organization. At this point you are able to specify an other name.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:37 AM
  • I see no reason why you cannot use 'CRM' as organization name. The easiest way to confirm this is to run CRM Deployment Manager. 
    Daniel Cai | http://danielcai.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 1:58 PM
  • As said by Daniel , you can try to change your organization name to CRM and check (I hope you are doing these experiments in you VPC)

Mahain
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:25 AM
  • Hi Keller,

In crm 4.0 , either On-Premise or IFD, it uses the organization name in the URLs right. I suppose it is using the Organization name and not its display name. So I want to change the Orginazation name and not actually its display name. Is redeploying the organization is the only way or do we have any other ways ?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 5:28 AM
  • We use crm as our organisation name and we have no problems at all.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:55 AM
  • Thanks to All for sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

Well finally I decided to give it a try and I'll be doing in the Dev Server. I'll share my feedback soon

Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

the only way to changed it in a by Microsoft supported manner, is to redeploy the organization. Technically it will also work, by changing the values in the organization and config databases, as the unique name is used at multiple locations (for example the root business unit, ...)

btw.: crm is a valid organization name.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:09 PM
  • Hi Keller,

Thanks for the information. I'll do the 'redeploying the organization' and share the feedback with you.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:51 PM