Can Not Join "Cricle" PROMISED OneCare Phone Support is FALSE RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have a issue adding a computer to the OneCare "Circle" subscription I just renewed. 

1. The computer I am tyring to add is already on a one care subscription that will expire in 5 days.

2. The computer I renewed the one care subscription with created a circle (I chose to make it a hub; this is getting complicated) which included one of my other computers. 

3. So there are 3 computers on my LAM 2 of which are protected by one care for 1 year and 1 which is going to expire in 5 days.

4. I have attemped to add this computer by following instructions and sending in a email to the technical support.  My email was droped and I recieved a message stating something about not able to respond.

5. There is NO PHONE NUMBER available as promised on the product package.

WHAT IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I get a refund?

The time I have spent dealing with this software is unbelievable.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 7:11 PM

Answers

• You can't actually "add a computer" to a circle. Once you have a subscription, all PCs added to the subscription that are 2.0 become part of the Circle. Same LiveID, same subscription, they are in a Circle. If you have a subscription, and all 3 computers are on that subscription, they all share the same expiration date. So, if only one PC is going to expire in 5 days, it is not on the same subscription and will never be seen on a Hub in your Circle. You will need to uninstall OneCare from that PC and add it to the Circle by activating a reinstall of OneCare with the same subscription LiveID as on the other 2 PCs.

Now, if the other 2 PCs are running the 2.0 beta, *they* will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled from http://onecare.live.com as the beta environment and production environment do not "see" each other and the beta environment is slated to be shut down on 1/15/08.

As for support, you can follow the instructions in the FAQ to see your support options - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:56 PM

All replies

• You can't actually "add a computer" to a circle. Once you have a subscription, all PCs added to the subscription that are 2.0 become part of the Circle. Same LiveID, same subscription, they are in a Circle. If you have a subscription, and all 3 computers are on that subscription, they all share the same expiration date. So, if only one PC is going to expire in 5 days, it is not on the same subscription and will never be seen on a Hub in your Circle. You will need to uninstall OneCare from that PC and add it to the Circle by activating a reinstall of OneCare with the same subscription LiveID as on the other 2 PCs.

Now, if the other 2 PCs are running the 2.0 beta, *they* will need to be uninstalled and reinstalled from http://onecare.live.com as the beta environment and production environment do not "see" each other and the beta environment is slated to be shut down on 1/15/08.

As for support, you can follow the instructions in the FAQ to see your support options - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:56 PM
  • and the Phone Service?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 11:33 PM
  • Per the FAQ post, follow the path to "get more help" and then "contact support" - once your subscription is validated you will see your support options. If it can't be validated, you will only be able to use email support. I disagree with this support flow and believe that a phone number should be more readily available to a paid subscriber, but so far, this is the path offered.

-steve

Thursday, January 10, 2008 2:47 AM
  • I can't seem to get anybody to respond even thourgh email support. I have been using onecare for 2 plus years and havn't had any issues until know. My problem is I can't log into my acct to add, delete or do anything because I don't know what user name, password or secret question I used back then. So i am totally lost. What do I do???

Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:58 PM
  •  hooked96 wrote:

I can't seem to get anybody to respond even thourgh email support. I have been using onecare for 2 plus years and havn't had any issues until know. My problem is I can't log into my acct to add, delete or do anything because I don't know what user name, password or secret question I used back then. So i am totally lost. What do I do???

Email me at sboots@mvps.org and include "OneCare" in the subject line and a link to this thread in the message. Let me know what country you are n.

As for email support responses, they should respond within 24 hours, but it can be longer over the weekend or holidays. be sure to check your junk mail folder.

-steve

Sunday, January 13, 2008 9:04 PM
  • I am also concerned with the amount of time we spend managing One Care on our computers, so much so that we have inquired about billing Microsoft for our time spent working on their behalf.  We have spent many hours re-installing OneCare, uninstalling and re-installing other Microsoft components, such as MSXML, and 'fixing' our networks because OneCare has suddenly started blocking all SMB traffic on a particular computer.

It is from this response by Stephen Boots that I've found that if subscribe to OneCare and you use the incorrect id, that the only way to change it is to re-install OneCare again!  It makes me wonder why the Live ID is displayed on the subscribe dialog in what first appears to be an active editable text box, but is not editable.

Is there any way to change the Subscription ID without re-installing OneCare?

Thanks,

Roger White

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:35 PM
  • Roger, unfortunately, that LiveID issue is a known bug in 2.0 that should be fixed soon, but too late to help you. :-(

-steve

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 2:43 AM