Network Disconnect when backing up Hub Computer RRS feed

• Question

• Using Vista SP2 on HP dv7, WD Passport External HD USB, Configured as Disk G, Hub Laptop same, Backup from Hub PC starts, at 2% complete, network icon on Hub PC shows disconnect and backup terminates.  Cannot reconnect Hub PC to network until close backup, then network reconnects.  Have Linksys WRK54G Wireless Router.  All software is on auto updates.  Tried everything I can find, but nothing seems to work so far.  Any help is appreciated.  Passport is NTFS.
    Friday, July 3, 2009 2:57 PM

Answers

• Which PC is the hub? Is the hub connected to your network wirelessly? It sounds like you have one or more PCs trying to communicate wirelessly and the backup over the wireless connection is causing the backup to fail and the network connection to drop. What's confusing to me is that you refer to the Hub PC as disconnecting from the network *and* the Hub PC is also the host for the backup device. If the external drive is connected via USB to the Hub PC, the state of the network should have no impact on backup up *on* the hub to the external drive. However, another PC backing up to the PC that hosts the external drive would be impacted if the network dropped.

Assuming that both PCs are wireless, then I think that you solution will be to abandon Centralized backup and perform a local backup for each PC. Doing a bacakup over a wireless connection is shaky at best, particularly if there is a lot of data to copy and if the signal is not high or excellent.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 3:38 PM
  • If the above doesn't help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Friday, July 3, 2009 11:57 PM

All replies

• Which PC is the hub? Is the hub connected to your network wirelessly? It sounds like you have one or more PCs trying to communicate wirelessly and the backup over the wireless connection is causing the backup to fail and the network connection to drop. What's confusing to me is that you refer to the Hub PC as disconnecting from the network *and* the Hub PC is also the host for the backup device. If the external drive is connected via USB to the Hub PC, the state of the network should have no impact on backup up *on* the hub to the external drive. However, another PC backing up to the PC that hosts the external drive would be impacted if the network dropped.

Assuming that both PCs are wireless, then I think that you solution will be to abandon Centralized backup and perform a local backup for each PC. Doing a bacakup over a wireless connection is shaky at best, particularly if there is a lot of data to copy and if the signal is not high or excellent.

-steve

Friday, July 3, 2009 3:38 PM
  • If the above doesn't help, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Friday, July 3, 2009 11:57 PM
  • Thanks Stephen,  I abandoned the Centralized backup and performed a local backup for each PC.  It became too much trouble to try the centralized backup wirelessly.  I was trying to set it up where I would not have to plug in the Passport into the wife's computer to back it up.  I was trying to backup hers when I backup up mind without unplugging the device.  I had no problem with backing up locally.

Thanks for your help.

Del
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 5:52 PM
  • I'm glad to read that you resolved it, albeit not the way you wanted to. Wireless is a great covenience, but can be unreliable for large file transfers such as those the occur during a backup.
    You're welcome. :-)
    -steve
    Sunday, July 5, 2009 5:18 PM