Drives RRS feed

• Question

• How do you guys/girls differentitate the disks that are in your home server - mine all all screwed into a caddy (4 at a time) and when one goes pop it will be a pain to say the least to find out which it was :-(
    Im thinking ahead as I have a few 1TB drives im going to be adding in replacement of some of the smaller ones...
    Monday, October 5, 2009 4:33 PM

All replies

• OEM devices are required to identify drives using a mechanism such as drive lights, etc. but for a DIY server you will probably want to use the Disk Management add-in (see the developers forum).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:10 PM
  • Hi,
    the WHS Disk Management Add-In mentioned by Ken is capable to show you the serial numbers of the drives in the storage pool. This is usually also visible on a label on the disk. (Not sure, if your caddy allows you to read those easily, in this case you could associate your own IDs with a sticker.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 8:35 AM
  • I use the aforementioned disk management add-in and like its functionality. It also tells me the operating temperature and data transfer rate of each drive in the console.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 10:07 PM