System Crash RRS feed

• Question

• How does WHS handle a software crash or OS hard drive crash that need a full OS re-install?   Does it somehow rebuild the tombstone records for all the data on the other drives?

Thanks
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• If only the operating system partition is affected, there's no need to rebuild the tombstones. A server reinstallation will rebuild that partition. If the system drive fails, you replace the drive and do a server reinstallation with all your other storage drives connected. WHS will rebuild the tombstones as part of the reinstallation process. Note that this takes some time, possible many hours if you have several terabytes of data...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:29 PM

All replies

• If only the operating system partition is affected, there's no need to rebuild the tombstones. A server reinstallation will rebuild that partition. If the system drive fails, you replace the drive and do a server reinstallation with all your other storage drives connected. WHS will rebuild the tombstones as part of the reinstallation process. Note that this takes some time, possible many hours if you have several terabytes of data...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:29 PM
  • Sounds good, many thanks.  

Does it check the integrity of the files during the rebuild?
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:57 PM