Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• For the last three days I have woken up to a Windows Home server that seems to be running but you cannot log into no matter what you use.
    Home server consul and Remote desktop both say cannot log in. I have to reboot the server.
    I am see a fair few  errors with Home Server Backup in the event log of the home server.
    Reporting Queued error,  faulting application whsbackup.exe

I am also getting
    Fault Bucket  1021391324

I am at a loss as to what these are or why.
    Seems like the server is hung in the morning. A reboot immediately brings it back online and working fine.
    But I shouldnt need to reboot every morning.
    I have turned off allow network card to power off system.
    I cannot find any other power options for the server
    Such as hibernate or turn off harddrives like other systems.
    Am I missing something?

Help if possible

Custom Computer System Design
    Monday, February 23, 2009 4:55 PM

Answers

• It sounds like the backup tool is failing during a backup. To help narrow down the options, could you please run chkdsk on all the drives in your server? You'll find instructions for doing so here.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:27 PM

All replies

• It sounds like the backup tool is failing during a backup. To help narrow down the options, could you please run chkdsk on all the drives in your server? You'll find instructions for doing so here.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 6:27 PM
  • I have initiated the file and its runnning chkdsk on the drives now.
    The 2 data drives Seagate 500 gigs are brand new.
     Just for information purposes
    Custom Computer Systems
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:22 PM

• Well i have a bad cluste rin at least 1 file on the drive i tested a month ago.
    Anyway can I use ghost  to drive copy it to  another drive. Does that work with Home Server?
    Custom Computer Systems
    Monday, February 23, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Ferrit said:

Well i have a bad cluste rin at least 1 file on the drive i tested a month ago.
    Anyway can I use ghost  to drive copy it to  another drive. Does that work with Home Server?

Custom Computer Systems

Although you might get it to work, using Ghost (or any cloning program) is unsupported.  My suggestion would be to remove the faulty drive through the Console, then physically remove it from the system.
    Monday, February 23, 2009 8:33 PM
  • I don't think that you'll have success with ghosting the drive that way, because the copy operation is likely to have a problem with the bad cluster as well. In addition, copy a WHS drive is unsupported, and may not work. Probably your best bet would be to remove the drive with the bad clusters from the storage pool and replace it. 

If WHS succeeds in removing the drive without data loss, great. If not, the backup database is essentially fungible by design, and the only error is (I think, based on what you've said) in a component of the database. In that case, you will have to repair the backup database, or delete it and back up all your home computers again.

Monday, February 23, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Tommorow I will be taking my files off Home Server
    It isnt even close to worth the effort.
    What a ludicrous system for backing up your computers
    This is my first post but its not my first issue.
    They are too numerous to list and too much of a waste of time to
    try to keep fixing.
    Oh and by the way thats 1 cluster only that it found.
    Ghost will not have trouble dealing with it

Custom Computer Systems

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:07 AM